31 Jan 2020

Roundup - AKA other crap I bought this month and couldnt fill a whole review with.

I overspent massively this January, but that's nothing new. Jan is restock season, it's the point where, flushed with christmas money, temptation is everywhere.

And so yeah... I splurged... a lot.

and?




Honestly I do feel a little guilty about it... and rather overwhelmed. I gotta be stronger at impulse control.

I have a wishlist and I need to stick to it damnit.


So we'll start with the Charity shop finds.

I picked up this MC2 doll MIB for £6:50.
I always thought she was pretty, that hair man!


She is exceptionally beautiful, though I was always a bit meh about MC2 because of their quality level. Beautiful faces for sure, often very nice clothes, but their bodies are so flimsy that the £20+ price tag just felt unjustified.

Her headband is plastic tabbed and sewn to her head and because of the big starfish on it, she CANNOT wear the mask she came with AND the headband simultaniously.

Design flaw!


Like all the "deluxe" mc2 dolls she has a jointed body with legs that like to fall off and easily removed arms.
One of her legs loves to just drop off with the slightest touch.
WHY mga? WHY?

I will give them ONE thing with the detacting legs though, it makes putting tight pants on them waaaay easier. Lol.


her outfit is a bit wierd. The shirt is very casual with a mermaid bra sort of motif and mesh in her skin tone.

Her shoes are platformed sneakers.

And yet her skirt is this gorgeous fishtail skirt made from some sort of sequined material and it looks far far too glam to be paired with SNEAKERS. I mean what are you even doing girl? Sneakers with a prom style gown? Yeesh.

It's a gorgeous skirt, but it's a bit too "dressy" for me as well as being rather costumey.


The headband also had to go. I ended up tying her hair into a side pony so all the beautiful colours were visible.

I love this look on her.

The dark jacket really helps bring out her hair I think.


And her makeup.

I often find that a lot of modern fashion dolls really could do with a less is more approach on this front. Intense makeup and hair looks AMAZING with dark colours and a fairly simple outfit but gets totally lost when you pair it with MORE colour and MORE fanciness.

Now I think her unique hair and makeup really "pop" and I adore her.


More charity finds. Except Skipper, she was an ebay purchase.

She's currently in the airing cupboard being destained (hopefully)

I'm naming the pony "spud" because it looks like a potato.
Apparently it's a disney store horse from the mini baby Belle set or something. I can't quite figure out WHY they made him so wierd but hey, wierd horse!

Jane was £2 and I always have need for pale jointed bodies.


This girl I thought was interesting though honestly I only got her for her blouse.
It's a really nice blouse with embroidery.


She's quite strange because while she has a LOT of hair (It's nylon but it's okay nylon) it's strangely rooted leaving bald spots at the front which suggests to me she should have something on her head. A hat maybe?

And her body is clearly cheap hollow plastic but it's also really HARD and not squishy and fragile like most clone bodies. She's actually quite hefty for a clone which surprised me.

She has HUGE shoulders and beefy arms.

Her head feels like decent playline quality vinyl and her paint work, thought a bit odd, is thick and well applied so... yeah...


She has NO markings at all and I don't even know if this is her original outfit but she makes me think of Eastern Europe. Maybe she was a souvineer doll or something?

Her clothes are pretty nicely made. Her blouse has embroidered patterns on the front and sleeves and a contrasting hem. The sequins I THINK are supposed to represent a beaded necklace, which would line up with eastern european traditional costume.

Her skirt is elasticated and made of thick fabric with ribbon decorations. It's hemmed and sturdy as shit.

I don't think those are her original shoes. They're hinged barbie size cowboy boots lol.

She's a curious little thing and for £2 I figured I may as well.

Mystery dolls facinate me.

Giant Barbie with matted hair got a haircut and a wig. I intend to repaint her at some point. She has a boring as shit face.

And of course a 50p Zelf hah. Can't resist those little guys.


New capsule Chix B.O.T.S hit (yeah I dunno what it stands for, I don't really care) but im too grumpy about blind bags to buy the 2 packs so I just bought the boy from someone. Saves me money and time.

I do want the jumpsuit boy too but I don't like the odds on getting him. There's 3 different ones in each assortment but it's not an equal chance. I don't want to have to buy multiple of the same set and get duplicates of the visible doll just to try to find the boy you know? It's agrivating.


He's cute. He has a skirt/kilt so uses the girl lower body and this is problematic because it means he often pops apart. But he is cute.


His bag has little moose heads on it lol. Cute. A nice touch Moose toys.


I also ordered some in stock stuff from amazon using my vouchers.

I wasn't too keen on Good Vibes fashionista from her promo pics but I saw her in store and she's actually really cute.


She has a new style somewhat androgynous body.


There are boobs but they're very very small.


I didn't like her shorts, they were too long and shapeless and boring so she got new ones.


She lines up nice with the other fashionistas, though I do find it sad to look at silver haired girl there and remember she has actual flocking, then look at Good Vibes and see just flat paint. *sigh*


The downgrade in quality makes me sad but that's Mattel's schtick these days.


The new body is a little shorter than curvy and regular, but taller than petite.


interestingly her hips/butt is slightly wider than regular body.


"regular" Barbie clothing is a bit tight in the hips and of course baggy in the bust.


Curvy fits like a sack.


And Petite well, i couldn't even get the trousers ON lol.


Interesting random observation but Silver with the half shaved hair has the exact opposite accessories as Good Vibes. White shoes and a yellow watch instead of yellow shoes and a white watch. Same molds and everything.


I don't usually like open mouth sculpts but Good Vibes has a sweetness to her, likely helped by her neutral lip colour.


My other Amazon order with the BMR girl I cancelled when I got my other one.

At the time I felt like I couldn't justify it but with vouchers, heck yeah.


I love dark skinned dolls, I love purple lipstick, I love the curvy body.

I hate her outfit.

It's a sack-like dress and a clear plastic parka thing with bmr1959 all over it.

It's fucking hideous.


poor girl has such a gorgeous face with even little baby hairs painted on, she deserved better than this hot mess.


Unfortunately I couldn't find any bottoms that fitted her that well, except a couple of fugly as shit skirts and this er... thing.
lol.

She's kinda rocking the insane punk fairy look.


Then Ebay happened... several times.

This particular lot I honestly didn't expect to win. These two are My Scene, Growing up Glam dolls. A very very hard to find line that from all i've ever been told was only released in Canada and maybe Mexico, making them insanely rare.

they're also SUPER wierd.

they play around with the same gimmick as growing up Skipper, but take it to even more extremes.

I always thought the dolls themselves looked really cute in "tween" mode.


They have sweet faces.

They also have colour change makeup but it's a bit temperamental. Westley's changes on her eyes, it gets darker and more lashes appear, while Kennedy just gets some more lashes and after quite a while of waiting might possibly get a teensy bit of colour. I don't know if they're just aging and the paint is failing, or if they never worked that dramatically in the first place.

the box suggests their lips should change too but I couldn't get either to do so so hmmm.


Their bodies are.... wierd frankly.

they have a hard plastic chest with a cutout for their soft squishy "growing" breast. They also have a cut in their upper legs for the "growing"


In their back there's a little key/winder that activates their mechanism. Or you can just yank their legs, that does it too.


then this happens.

and they look ridiculous.

Torso elongates, legs get longer, boobs pop out. Puberty!


Yep, that's totally what a human body looks like.
Good job Mattel.

This mechanism is... problematic. It doesn't really "lock" in place so it's very easy to accidentally pull one of the legs longer when changing shoes or clothes, or make them go short again when you touch them. As soon as the legs drop, so too does everything else. I dunno why it doesn't lock given the whole key thing in the back, it's odd honestly.


in kid mode they are almost a head shorter than a regular My Scene doll which is cute.


And even in "grown" mode they're still a little shorter. It also highlights how bizarre their proportions are because their hips end up too low and too narrow and there's no shape to their torso.
All in all they just look BIZARRE in grown mode.

But it is a very amusing mechanic just for shere randomness.


They also came with a ton of accessories and secondary outfits (Simple little dresses) and another pair of shoes but I can't be bothered. I like them as they are.

And I still can't quite believe I got them for so little considering their rarity.

Yay?


And well, you KNOW i'm a sucker for a big doll bundle and Ebay was all "we got a bundle! you want bundles?"


What caught my attention specifically was this auction photo.  Baby Applejack!??
WANT

It wasn't hugely expensive, though postage was almost as expensive as the dolls themselves *sigh* and then it took forever to bloody ship and I was grumpy.

but it finally arrived and I got to pawing through it.


First things first, the ponies!

I hadn't realised the pink one was also a g1 mlp. It's an original Flutter Pony which is quite cool. Finding them with their wings is extremely rare, they usually don't have them.

Both ponies are FILTHY but appear to be undamaged, which is nice.

Baby Applejack is so damn cute!


The other horse is a fairly lightweight flocked thing. I dunno what it is and I don't much care either. It'll probably go to charity.


Blurry photo but MASSIVE amounts of clothing. A lot of it stained and grubby, a few in need or repair but yeah, lots. This is all barbie/sindy stuff.


Modern Hasbro Disney dress? And two garments that look familiar but I can't quite place. They're actually too big for Barbie and Ken so wtf?


A shit ton of Bratz stuff and a few Sparkle Girl bits to the side (SO MUCH BRATZ, yet not a single bratz doll in the bundle. Wiiiiierd)


and then random "other". A lot of this is baby doll crap though there's also a cute barbie sized top and a kilt that I think fits Ken.


4 Sindy dolls all scrubbed up and dressed up to preserve their modesty (lol).

Two are identical, both Mountain Biking Sindy. In the middle is Summer Looks Sindy and the one in pink i'm not actually sure because she hasn't got really any feature that's particularly useful for id. She's not "make me up" (where the blue shimmery dress is from) as her face is entirely wrong. She's wearing Gymnast Barbie's clothes because eh.. why not?


Nolee was a surprise, I wasn't expecting a good condition My Scene doll. Her legs are a bit warped but that's these soft legs for ya. She is, I believe, Miami Getaway Nolee which means her hair SHOULD be in pigtails but I couldn't get it to part neatly or nicely so I gave up. It looks nice down anyway.


She's beautiful.


Bizarrely, there's a Hasbro  Jasmine here. She's a modern doll, what the hell is she doing in a pile of 90s stuff?

Tinkerbelle has lost her shoes, Aladdin his shirt and Jasmin all her clothes lol.

Aladdin and Jasmine are pretty nice though. Jasmine's hair is quite coarse and very very thick, even the individual hair fibres feel THICK which is interesting.

I don't really DO Disney dolls but I know these two are 90s ones and a lot of people love em.


3 Potato Kens.

Why do I call them Potato kens? Because this old body sculpt makes me thick of a shapeless spud and the face isn't much better.

I had a ken like the guy in the terrible pants as a kid and I HATED HIM SO MUCH. He only had one leg and he was fugly and looked old compared to fresh faced doe eyed barbie and it squicked me out.
He could barely move, his body was ugly, his face looked stupid and yeah... I hated him. a lot.
He spent a lot of time shoved into the bottom of the doll box because screw that ugly bastard.

Ugly pants dude's head is actually on a ball joint which surprised me, means he can actually tilt his head! I've never seen a ken able to do that.


He's still fugly though.

The other two, I dunno who they are and I don't much care. They're potato Kens, they can get the hell outta my house.


Tyco quints! or rather, 1 quint and 2 of the triplet cousins lol.

I remember these. I never had them as a kid but I remember them. Baby dolls were definitely NOT my thing growing up but these were bloody everywhere. And I remember them being expensive because the sets were pretty damn big with 5 dolls and all.

I wonder what happened to their siblings.


2 Cassy dolls. I don't know much about Cassy. She was made by Hornby (you know the company that makes train sets?) in the early 90s and apparently originally came in a little cassette-like box that doubled as a room/scene setter?

okay...

they're small little dolls with decent quality hair and teensy little bodies that fit Bratz clothes pretty well.


These two have very different faces.


Barbies!

so... three of these are early 90s or 80s Barbies and much like the ones I had inherited from my sister as a kid and still hold no real love for. The others are more modern.

Generation Girl has brown eyes which I like as a change of pace. Beside her the older girl has had a nasty hair cut and the other one who might be peaches and creme but I don't genuinely know, is missing a LOT of hair and what she's got left is sticky even after a good wash, so goodness knows what that's about.

Summer? in the middle scrubbed up lovely. The blonde beside her has a very pale face and is boring as shit to me. Beside her is Sun Jewel Barbie with her GIANT fluffy hair and unremovable earrings. One is broken because they're long, dangly and get caught in her hair and snap off. It's dumb.

and in the front is.. er.. Fallon? One of the 12 dancing princesses anyway I think.
She has jointed arms and strawberry blonde hair.


Swappin Sisters Skipper and stacey, so cute! I love the concept of that line, they did a few. Skipper, Stacie and Barbie all came with layered mix and match outfits they could ALL wear and that was very clever.

Unfortunately Skipper's neck has cracked so her head pops off. It needs repair but i'm not sure I have the energy or motivation to do so.

The Kelly i'm not sure who/what she is. Her outfit is quite elaborate and she has teensy little pink shoes. Her face is really pale and quite made up. It's a costume of some sort but i'll be damned if I can work out what.


I decided to keep one of the Bike Sindys because I love crimped hair and Dee Dee was also in the bundle. She's got sticky legs and her body has some sort of dance mechanism that means her arms ratchet but I can't figure out how it's supposed to work, if it still works.

She is a pretty doll though. Her hair is coarse and still a little sticky as is her face. I fear she's degrading with age. *sigh* Some dolls just aren't designed to last and it makes me sad.
I really like her, she has a really pretty face quite strangely subtle makeup ( I mean she IS a Barbie and the Rockers doll) and fabulously curly hair which I always appreciate.


I think she deserves the effort to preserve her.


Also in the bundle, 1 Evie Love. Boring, next.


3 Sparkle Girls. boring.


Two shitty spindle bodied Moxie Girl clones


and a terrifying uncanny valley tiny baby.

He frightens me. I don't like him at all.

photos don't quite convey the ick that is this thing. *shudder*

and not pictured, a tyco Ariel who's undergoing some hair treatment for mildew and general grossness.

Poor girl.

so that's er... 36 dolls? I think?

What I plan to do with the ones i'm not keeping (read: most of them) is divide them into rational bundles and list them up for a few quid each.

Smaller bundles tend to sell better than giant ones. Not everyone is crazy like me hahah.



And my gorgeous Gem of Doll girl got some new clothes and some funky goggles hehehe.

Damn she's a pretty doll.
I almost feel bad planning to strip her faceup.


2 comments:

  1. The clothes in the same bundle as the Hasbro Disney dress are Hercules and Meg's clothes from the 'Legend of Love' giftset. I'm surprised you didn't recognise them!
    Personally, I really like your Gem of Doll girl's face. I'm not a huge fan of orange but the unusual lip colour works with her skin tone and hair. She's stunning.
    Anyway, great haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realised today that's what they probably were lol. I've never really been a disney collector though, so short of the stuff they wore in the movies i'm pretty clueless hahah. Herc must be a BIG doll though, this outfit is really wide. All them muscles right? hah.
      And meg must be quite tall because the dress is way too long for a barbie. Wiiiierd.
      Maybe it's supposed to drape on the floor or something?

      Delete