14 Jan 2020

Post christmas roundup AND a clear out

Gadzooks, I survived christmas! and new year!

And I have enough energy to actually write a blog post!??

what is this witchery?

Okay in all seriousness, this is gonna be a rather random all over the place one. First the things I bought this month, then the stuff i'm looking to rehome.

Are you ready?




Here we go!


I went to the nearest town over to have a look in their charity shops. usually they kinda suck as they're mostly clothes and very few toys but sometimes they have something worth looking at.

I grabbed a MIB Mc2 doll I haven't got a picture of yet (i'm gonna debox her at some point okay!?) and this big ol' bundle of Zelfs.

the bundle was £15 and I could see a few I didn't have already and wanted so I figured why not?

the lady said they were sick of pricing them separate so just threw them all into a bag and called it a day. Lol.


It actually ended up being a lot more than I expected.

there's 20 medium zelfs, 3 large ones, 3 small ones and 5 trolls.

Not bad for £15.

They came with their brushes, a fair few have their charms still and all the ones who had playsets have their little playset.

nice.

As it turned out, I only had three of the mediums already!

score!


These three are the duplicates in my collection, so they'll need a new home.

But the rest are all new to me. So whoop!


The extra blingy trolls are pretty small but really hefty, they're solid and quite heavy. I looked them up and it turns out they're Good Luck Trolls by Dam and distributed by Black Horse (yes, the comic publisher) as blind boxes several years ago.

I think the two gold encrusted ones are chase figures. They're quite uh... OTT.

But man they're a blast from the past.
I collected trolls as a kid and these look so much like the ones I collected.


There was also this older Dam troll who I suspect is from the 90s. She has glitter in her hair (it's subtle) and her bag is clear plasticy fabric stuff and opens and closes.


HALF of my first order from Aliexpress came. Sadly they never sent the other heads so I got a refund on them.

But this is a Tonner/Wilde Imagination Elowynne head. She was only about £8.

It's a damn nice head, very hard though so i'm not sure HOW i'm gonna heat it enough to ram eyes in there.
Also she needs a body so um....

I'm not totally sure what i'll do with her to be honest. I've wanted an Elowynne for a long time but she's SO DAMN EXPENSIVE and I could never justify it when I could buy a resin bloody doll for the same sort of money you know?


This is Snarl, he's a Fuggler. The Entertainer had them on clearance for £3:50 ish for the regular ones and £6 for the big ones. They had a really limited selection but I kinda fell for how soft this one's fur was. He has a slight error in how his mouth was sewn so unlike his twins on the shelf he has a curled lip which makes him look like he's perpetually sneering and I found that endearing.
He needs a cowboy hat.


Speaking of clearance, Argos had Capsule Chix at half price but curiously ONLY Ram Rock.
At £7 a pop I was willing to take a gamble to get some new parts to play with and the nice thing is I ended up with only ONE duplicated piece (the damn cobra skirt i'm being haunted by, this is the third one in what, 4 dolls?)

But I got the Cobra head! and the cool metallic hair
and some awesome boots.

so score!


Not a great pic but these are my current display four.

I painted the dark purple one's hair because it bothered me how close to her skin tone her hair was.
same with the gold boots, they clashed with everything.

Old Polly Pocket and Lil' Bratz stuff fits these pretty dang well so that's a nice option.


And my Gem Of Doll girl arrived shortly after new year.

So, this girl was on my wishlist for a while because I love green resin and Gem do a really nice green resin.

Anyway,

they did a sale for "Singles Day" (11/11) in china and I messaged them on facebook to ask if their deal included 1: green resin and 2: their wierd elongated bodies that were for their limited edition dolls.

They quoted me for this and I said i'd have a think about it.

so when i woke up the next day they had sent me a message over facebook asking me if I wanted a doll lol.
So all day they periodically would ping up "You want doll? We got dolls" and it cracked me up. I dunno, I found it cute that they really really really wanted to sell me a doll.

So I ordered a doll.

Ahem.

to be fair they cut me a sweet deal. They didn't charge me extra for the unusual body choice and the green resin wasn't much added.

$190usd for a doll that usually costs $300ish on the unusual body, and that's without the green resin.

So I ordered Sofiar on the elongated msd unembossed body, which means I ordered Tsing Hua technically, who is Sofiar on a unique elongated body (lol) but is usually only available in white.

It's... complicated.

Anyway, I got a message from Gem a little later to tell me my doll was ready but they'd accidentally given her a faceup in their haste/excitement (hahahah) and would wipe it if I wanted but would also send it free of charge if I was okay with it.

I told them to just send it, I could wipe it later if I wanted.

Gem of Doll are really nice, I highly recommend them. their customer service person is very very sweet.


Inside the nice sturdy cardboard box is a green pillow with lacey bits. It's rather twee hahah.


My girl came well wrapped with a face mask protecting her face which is very nicely done with lashes and everything.

though i'm not TOTALLY sold on the use of orange for her lips and blushing.

Her green is gorgeous. It's softer than Resinsoul's green, it's more of a pastel green.


I love her eyebrows, they're really really nicely done with teensy tiny brush strokes for hairs.

This elongated body has an extra long neck and arms which I love.


She's double jointed at the knees and elbows and has a mobility joint at her upper leg. Her hands and feet are on a separate ball joint too which is interesting because it allows her to point her toes! Something I actually haven't seen any of my msd dolls be able to do quite so effectively.


They sent her with some grey glass eyes which I think are 14mm. They gape quite badly in one eye, I think it might need some bevelling or she just needs smaller eyes.

The wig was Kismet's who I sold a while back. It matches her eyebrows.


The only problem I have with posing her is that she's VERY tightly strung which means her feet on their ball jointed ankle like to pull upward. This makes it difficult to get her to stand flat.

It also made it very hard to get her head off to change eyes around.


I'm waiting for my favourite eye maker to come back from break but for the time being I settled on these generic blue half round acrylics from my stash.
note that these gape in her right eye too?

There's a tiny little blob of extra resin under that eye but i'm not sure that's what's causing the issue. I'll sand it down at some point but I suspect she might need 12mm eyes to fit her sockets better. Sadly I don't seem to HAVE any 12mm eyes in my stash. I have 8 and 10, then 14, 16, 18. wth?


I also tried this orphan wig on her but I hate the fringe on this one. I love the green of it but I HATE that fringe. It's far too long and it just gets in the way. I'm not sure what the hell it's supposed to look like but I can't get it to look decent on any doll.

but I feel like the brown makes her green pop better anyway.


I really love her strangely shaped face. She has extremely pouty lips and very low ears with these oddly shaped eyes that makes her look a bit sad. Honestly she reminds me of a lot of the older Doll Chateau sculpts, particularly on this elongated body.

My plan for her is that once the weather is less awful and we have you know, sunlight, i'll wipe her faceup and give her a new one with gold and maybe some subtle purples and greens in it. I'll also give her tattoos down her neck, her arms and her hands.

Hopefully she'll look awesome once i'm done.

Gem of Doll were VERY fast, it took them only 1 month to actually get the doll cast and ready, though they didn't send her out for a bit due to holidays etc. In the end though, she arrived far quicker than their 3 month guarentee (yeah, they actually have a guarentee on their website about wait times which i've never seen before)

Her resin is smooth and beautiful, the colour is stunning and her engineering is pretty damn good.

She has one finger I feel might be a bit weak but that's a sculpt issue more than anything else. I'll just try to be extra careful with her dainty hands.

Honestly I can see myself ordering from Gem again, it was a really pleasurable experience.


This also came.


Ooo exciting.


It's Choma! After a rather long wait due to events outside the creator's control, he finally made it home.

Napalm Dolls was lovely and kept everyone posted about this preorder and sent a little pin as a sorry for the wait. It's heavy as heck!


But oh he was worth the wait. I love him.

I have a thing for strange faces and his odd lip and chin coupled with those awesome little ears makes me smile.

Her has one slightly smaller eye than the other and i'm not sure if that's a casting defect or just the nature of hand sculpted heads. I'll sand it a little so they match a little better and once eyes are in you shouldn't notice.


I ADORE his profile.

He's in "coffee" resin which is quite pale, i'm not actually sure what'll match it as my Resinsoul coffee seems a smidge darker. I'm also not sure what body to give him.
I've seen some nice hybrids using Dollshe bodies but Dollshe takes foreeeeever, and i've been looking at Model Delf bodies too as they do a large range of browns and their lightest one might not be tooooo far off with a little clever head blushing.

Anyway, a body is a little way off for this poor guy right now. There's a lot of stuff coming up in jan/feb that i'm gonna need money for so he's gonna have to wait.

Sorry Choma. I'll get you finished before the year is out I promise!


These little guys came from Ebay.

They're Magic Diaper Babies by Galoob.

I had a fair few of these as a kid. They did mermaid ones, animal ones, even angels.

Sadly over the years the colour change paint on the diapers has failed. The whole gimmick was that when you dunked em in cold water their nappy/diaper would turn pink or blue to tell you whether it was a boy or a girl. And unlike MANY toys of the 90s with a gender reveal gimmick, there were about as many boys as girls in each set so that was nice.

Sadly i'll never know what these ones were as they no longer change colour. ALAS.


The seller included a damaged one as extra in the bundle because she didn't know what else to do with the poor kid.


And if i'm honest, neither really do I. Poor thing has been attacked by what I assume was a puppy. Some of the tooth marks are REALLY deep.

Poor baby.

Now I have to admit that as an adult these baby toys/figures don't really appeal a huge amount to me but these WERE a huge nostelgia trip for me. I have fond memories of my friend and I buying them and eagerly dunking em in water to see what colour they turned.

Some of them are definitely cuter than others.

I'd love to get a hold of one of the mermaid ones but damn they're expensive on Ebay.


One of my other christmas presents from husband was this little fella. He's a Tentacle Kitty.


And so diddy!

Middle kiddo said he looks like Foxy from Five Nights at Freddys and he has a point lol.

Foxy squid.


And finally this girl got a partial reroot and destaining.

She had a lot of grime on her and I haven't got it all out but she's a lot better than she was.


An eager young hairdresser had chopped her hair short and she was missing a few plugs so I replaced them with blonde and filled in the bald patches caused by her new hairstyle with blonde too.

it's very er... 90s Friends lol.

Wasn't this look the "Rachel"?

And now that this has gone on a while i'll leave the stuff i'm rehoming for my next blog entry. So be sure to check that one out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment