17 Aug 2019

Hairdorables HairDUDEables BFF pack - boy dolls!


Amazon kinda messed up my preorder a bit. See, my tracking claimed "arriving today before 8pm" on Monday and then at about 11:30 that morning changed its mind and I was emailed all "oops, we ran out of stock, now arriving end september!"

Suffice to say I was pretty annoyed because they LIED about it being delivered that day and i was waiting in.
So I moaned at them over live chat and they gave me a small voucher to say sorry for dicking me around.

As it turned out, their stock wasn't delayed by a whole 6 weesks though, they came back into stock last night and arrived today.

PHEW!

So, my boy set is here!





There's 6 different girls in this set, with each girl visible in the box and boy supposedly "a secret" but from what I can establish that's actually a load of crap. Each set is themed as a pair, so the whole "mystery" really isn't one at all.

Noah for example is beach themed, so she must come with a beachy boy right?

But I won't ruin the surprise just yet. Just Play managed that quite effectively themselves as you'll see.


The box is about twice the width of the regular Hairdorable boxes and the same height.

The side of the box features the three characters, Max, Greg and Logan.


The back of the box has a lot of photos of the dolls, both boys and girls. They're so cute!


The bottom of the box indicates what they're counting as "suprises" (lol)

Signature card, stickers, collector list... yeaaah okay sure?

2 stands though, sweet.


I really like that they're described as BFFs with the girls. Not brothers, not boyfriends, just friends. You don't get that often with dolls and I appreciate it. I like platonic boy/girl relationships getting representation and normalisation.


The box opens a bit unusually in that it doesn't slit down the middle like the regular boxs but rather to one side. I suppose it's the "middle" of the long box but yeah..


Inside is a little scene with a beach which is cute and fits Noah's theme.


the unicorn and ball pop up.


And the collector sheet.

You might be able to see what I mean about the themes. We have two food themed girls, 1 art, 1 gamer and two sports ones.
Likewise the boys fall into those catagories too.

I love DeeDeeSert, she's ridiculously OTT.


Here's a closer look at the girls. This set features Dee Dee, Kali, Noah, Rayne, Sallee and Willow. That's actually great for me as I don't HAVE any Rayne, Willow or Kali dolls right now.

Each girl is exclusive to this set.


And here's the boys. Three characters with two varients each.

I love Greg's mismatched eyes, you don't see that often in dolls. And Max has such cute curls! Logan looks adorable too.

basically I want all of these, because i'm greedy hah.


The back of the sheet is fairly dull.

HairDUDEables still cracks me up.


5 little compartments to open, oo exciting. Let's do this thing!


Compartment 1 contained a clear plastic stand in a funky oceanic green and a little bag. no plastic trays this time, which is actually quite nice.


The bag contains... a pair of green sneakers and Noah's signature card.

Can you spot the spoiler?

Bff: Logan.

this means this box MUST contain Logan right?


Let's look at the sheet again. Ahh yes, see, only one with green shoes is Hang Ten Logan. The BEACH themed one.


Compartment 2 contains another stand and another baggie. This one is wierdly empty feeling.


Inside is a sticker sheet and some sunglasses.


3's Bag is very flat.


it has another sticker (joy) and a boogie board.

The board is cute, partially clear green with a leaf pattern in blue.


Compartment 4 has the fattest and most full feeling bag.


These must be Noah's accessories. A volleyball and a bag with a lobster on it.

the ball is quite clever actually, it has a slightly flattened edge on one side so it doesn't roll everywhere.


Is that a little arcade machine backpack!?? that's adorable!


Totally rad dude? ahahah what is it, the 90s?


Behind the doll tray is some random clothing pictures. How on earth are those trousers at the top hanging?


Aaand here he is! Surfs Up Logan! As predicted.

Interestingly some things have changed since his art. his hair is shorter and he has shorts with a totally different pattern. In the art he has shark motif trousers, his doll has palm frond shorts.
How wierd.


I'm a little confused as to why his boogie board is transparent but his glasses aren't.

priorities?

It looks silly.


He's adorable.


He's slightly taller than the girls with a boxier shaped body and less shapely legs.

they can share shoes though. And the girls can fit the boy clothing haha.


His hair is awesome. It's two shades of blue with green shot through. It shimmers and shines and it's just lovely.


Noah was a little difficult to work out how to remove from the box. The box doesn't seem to actually open on that side at all, so I had to unstick the whole top of the box and slide her out that way.

am I missing something?

she's cute though.

I wasn't really sure about her sunscreen stripes but they aren't as distracting as I feared.

She has little pink sandals and a one piece romper in two different patterns with a short tied up shirt over the top. it's all one piece velcroing up the back. 


Her hair is a blend of blue and pink which sometimes combines to create a really interesting muted purple colour.

I'm not totally sure what's up with the style though. It's a bit odd.


Her eyes point the other direction to signature wave 1 noah, so they look like they're conspiring hah.


My only real issue with the backdrop is that the way it's designed means they're standing ON the water which looks a bit odd.


the 3d elements are cute though.

I also rather like how well these two complement one another. Blue hair, blue eyes, blue outfits.

Logan has gorgeous dark skin too. He's a bit darker than Sallee but i'm not sure if he's as dark as Kali as I don't OWN a Kali, but I think he's a little paler.


And here they are together.

What an adorable pair.

The boys seem to use a new sculpt that's a bit more angular with a narrower mouth.

I really hope we get more boys, i'm a sucker for boy dolls.

This particular set costs £28-30 which is a bit eyewatering but given the single dolls are £15, it's not a surprise.

As with the regular single packed Hairdorables yes, I think it's overpriced but at the same time both these dolls have a decent bit of detail to them with their multitonal hair and fabric outfits.

Logan's shorts are made of a sort of shiny fabric that's I think supposed to make them look like swim shorts while his tee is cotton with a shark print on the blue fabric. They're two separate pieces.

Noah's outfit is stiffer fabric but layered and quite effective.

Logan's hair is styled very well without being stiff and crunchy with product too. He reminds me of a Bratz Boy in that respect.

Some of the boys i've seen have outfits that are less effective and a lot more cheap looking so hmm... your milage may vary depending on which set you get.

However, I think it fairly safe to say that there's no real mystery to what you get. Each girl comes with a specific boy. Noah and Rayne for Logan. Dee Dee and Willow for Max and Kali and Sallee with Greg.

In a way that's great news though, because it means if you get all six girls you also get all six boys, but it raises the question, what's the point of the blind bag then?

Beyond just prolonging the deboxing process and creating more plastic waste.

Now, i will give this set credit, it has substantially LESS waste than the previous Hairdorables. The loss of the plastic trays is a good move I think. They really weren't neccisary.

interestingly the set comes without a brush, which is a curious omission

I am though rather delighted with my new boy doll. My problem is that I really would like all the boys but don't really want all the girls. So i'll have to find someone who wants the girls but not the boys. Argh!

I have another on order from Amazon though, and fingers crossed it's a different set.

I can see this being a real annoyance because right now the only place that has them IN store is Smyths and the nearest one to me is a good hour and half away.
Ordering online is going to be a total pain.









No comments:

Post a Comment