14 Aug 2019

A belated "stuff I bought this month" post

Man i've gotten myself a bit behind with blogs.

It's the school holidays right now so that's a big distraction, plus i'm dealing with fairly regularly headaches so that also kinda kills my motivation.

Still, i'm gonna try to catch up, and the best way to do that is to do a big ol' "stuff" post.

So let's get to it!




We'll start with this girl who was a birthday present from my dear long suffering husband.

She's probably a 1980s Sindy but interestingly for a doll of this era, she's suffering the ghost face thing where the pigment fades out and leaves a sickly yellowish head instead of a nice healthy pink.

poor Sindy.

She's otherwise in very good condition though.

Thankfully, I know how to fix this. LOTS of layers of pastel! 


It took a while but I got her face to match her body at last. And her hair to calm down.


There were spots where the colour was too blotchy so I freckled her to disguise those bits.

I'm quite pleased with how she turned out. you wouldn't know she was the same doll.


I also got this girl, who's a Camay (A high quality Tammy/Sindy clone) from Schpock, but she too is suffering pigment loss. In her case it's left her face kinda splotchy. Poor old girl.


Then i stumbled upon this girl in a charity shop.

She was a bit pricey (£12:50) for a charity shop but she's a 1970s girl and I couldn't leave her.


I redressed her. She has a VERY hard head that's shrunk slightly over the years leaving her with the 70s Sindy goitre issue where the ball is a bit too big and sticks out under the head.

I think her hair has been cut but it's kinda cute short.

her lashes are amazingly thick and long.

She's probably from 75 or 76, her body seems to be transitional period where the switched to the softer vinyl bendy legs and such, so she may very well be one of the in between dolls. Pedigree did after all use any parts they had laying around.

I initially thought her body wasn't original to her but I looked at other bodies I have and her head doesn't fit on ANY of them. She has a very very large neck knob, unusually large, which suggests this IS indeed her original body.


My chair is decaying badly right?

Annoyingly I had no red shoes, blue will have to do.

She has a beautifully high coloured face. I don't actually own many 70s Sindy dolls so she's a welcome addition to the family.


The same seller who had Camay also had a Fulla.

Now I already have a Fulla but she's on a horrible plush body and it annoys the shit out of me. This one was complete with her abya and everything.


I discovered that Fulla actually uses the Tanya face mold, which is WHY she reminded me of Sindy. When Hasbro bought Sindy they also bought a load of other doll lines from various places in europe including Tanya who was Italian I think.

As a cost cutting measure, they also used the old Tanya factories for production in places like Greece and used the Tanya face sculpts. So Greek Hasbro Sindy dolls are actually Tanya dolls.

I'm not sure how Newboy (the company who make Fulla) obtained this old mold but there ya go.


Her outfit is made of fairly thin fabric with embroidered flower... stars? I don't know. And her logo.


She's about the same size as Barbie, maybe a fraction shorter but it's hard to tell how much of that is Barbie's shoes.


Under her clothes Fulla has fully molded modest underwear. With molded wrinkles and everything! I've never seen anything quite like this.


Her hair is quite thickly rooted and very soft, but has zero styling. There's some reddish copper streaks to the top but otherwise it's black.


She fits Barbie clothes quite well, though her molded underwear means you need higher necked things to hide it. She also fits Barbie shoes. The old heel styled ones anyway.


Fulla has a VERY small bust, which is also interesting.


Her arms are straight and overall she's quite an old fashioned little doll in terms of construction. She is far more like an 80s and 90s doll than something you'd expect nowadays. Her jointing is basic, her mold quite simplistic but she's pretty hefty and well made.

Her hijab is very very simple with unhemmed edges which could be a problem with prolonged play.


Some Fulla dolls come with a second outfit for indoors, presumably to wear under the abya because it's so see through. I didn't much like how transparent it was in certain lights, seemed a bit inappropriate so she's wearing jeans and a tee-shirt underneath lol.


I also bought a really big bundle of dolls from a local seller for £10 (for like 47 dolls, score) and this girl was in the box.

She's a Chic boutique doll (probably a Glamour Girl) and I liked her face, even if her original body was a bit hollow and cheap feeling.


But also in the box was an old jointed Fashionista (with the swappable heads) with gross glue saturated hair so I didn't feel too bad about decapitating her and giving her body to this girl.


The skin tone match is perfect, I couldn't have asked for a better combo.

She's a delightful doll, such an interesting face. I really like her.


I also bought a huge bundle of doll eyes for stupidly cheap with the reasoning that doll eyes are always useful to have.

Yes, I know they're crooked here.

but I really liked these blue ones, they're really realistic and very pretty.

I still need to blush this doll's antlers, i'm waiting on magnets for her and I need to get her some lashes because i've run out of black ones.

But i'm pretty happy with her. She's the first doll i've painted in a while. I've just been too tired to want to do much of anything lately.


Action Man was a charity shop find for £2:50. I believe he's from the 70s as he hasn't got grippy hands.


He's missing some flock but he's otherwise in pretty good condition I think.

I don't know how I ended up with so many Action Men hahahaha.

Another charity find, this is the Prince from the Disney live action Cinderella and god he looks so MISERABLE.

He's wearing the prince from Frozen's outfit randomly.


And Neila too. Nude and shoeless but still! A hairdorable in a charity shop? Whu?

I'll find her some clothes at some point.


My Pose Skeleton has a new friend too. The robot is a Stikfas by Hasbro. I has some spare parts in the box but for £2 I couldn't resist this bizarre acticulated little guy.

It's very very poseable, which is a lot of fun. Unfortunately it doesn't have a very tight grip so it drops the ray gun a lot.


And my second Capsule Chix who sadly was far more disappointing than my first.

I mean look at this hot mess of parts.

When I thought it was all totally random this was just "damn" but now it's become apparent that actually, these come in preset configurations so SOMEONE decided that THIS was a look.

Like seriously?

Ew.

Also disappointing that I got the exact same head. *sigh*

I like SOME of the bits though. The shoes are cute, the legs are fine, the bag is adorable and I like the glasses which actually clip onto the HAIR.


So began "what the heck fits?"

This is a Hairdorables outfit. It's a little baggy in the top I think but it's not bad. The shoes don't fit, they're too small.


Novi Star shoes SO fit. They're a little long but they're okay. Apparently Novi clothing fits too but I didn't have any easily on hand to check that. The shoes were in my spare stuff box.

Top is Lil' Bratz and skirt is a rubbery vinyl Polly Pocket skirt.


Another Lil' Bratz skirt. I quite like this look.


I THINK this is Polly Pocket but i'm not 100% sure as I can't ID it. It fits really well.


Top is lil' Bratz, bottoms are Lil Bratz Boyz and are the right length and everything. Score.


in fact as you can see, they're not actually too far off the Lil Bratz in proportions.

The girl pants are far far too narrow in the leg though.


A fun look.


Polly Pocket dress made of some sort of very fragile papery fabric with a Bratz top over the top makes a very cute dress I think.


Here's both my girls together. I swapped their leg pieces.

Interestingly, they have different hand sculpts. Pink hair has more open splayed hands while glasses has curled middle fingers.

There's a lot of different hand molds by the look of things, which is neat. And as the whole doll comes apart you could mix and match hands too.


Pinkie stole a Lil' Bratz skirt which I think really works.


While Glasses is rocking this outfit for the time being.

I think i'd like different shoes and for sure I want a different head but i'm not sure I can justify another set. at £15 a pop it's a bit of a big expense and there's a fairly high risk of duplicates with only 8 different heads, 8 different torsos, 8 different legs etc.

I have to admit, i really DO wish they were more genuinely random OR that they'd just done them up as full sets so they looked good out the box and the mixing and matching was optional. But of course, the cynical part of me figures they made some truely horrible combos purely to make kids desperate for another pack to get more parts to make a cohesive outfit.

The amount of waste on these is just OBSCENE.

I mean what the hell are you supposed to do with the top part of the capsule you're using the base of for the stand?
it's just waste.

and ultimately, how many capsules does one person need before it becomes silly?

10 capsules and a large box for two dolls who would fit into TWO capsules with no box.

I really hope Moose rethink this nonsense. And maybe roll out some "fashion packs" for these at a lower price.


1 comment:

  1. You found a Prince Kit in a charity shop?! That's crazy! I'm a huge Cinderella fan and while I love the Disney Store dolls, you're right in saying they look absolutely miserable. It works for Lady Tremaine, Anastasia and Drizella, but Cindy, Kit and Fairy Godmother ought to look at least a little happy. I plan to repaint them if I can get my hands on a second bunch, but they're so ridiculously pricey I really can't justify it.
    I love your BJD girl, and you did a great job on the Sindys.
    Do you plan on sharing what you got in that £10 bundle with us? I'm really curious!

    ReplyDelete