18 Jul 2021

LOL OMG Present Surprise - Miss Glam

You know, when this girl was first annouced I was like "meh pass" but then I saw the doll and fell head over heels. 

Wierd how that happens sometimes right?

Anyway, let's get into this.

 

So this set seems to be officially called "present surprise" with the doll's name only shown on the back of the box, which is unusual. 

The box is a pretty standard OMG box, it's one of the wrap around card sleeves that need to be taped back together if you want to reuse the box style ones.


The back of the box states that she's throwing herself a surprise birthday party. Wait... how do you throw YOURSELF a surprise party? Do you drink a lot so you can't remember organising it? Go out and get a concussion after sending the invites? What the hell? 

Oh! I get it, it's MGA's idea of surprise right? Which is that she knows exactly what's gonna happen and just makes it more awkward and time consuming to get there. 

So she'll throw the party somewhere with no public transport and send everyone on a circuitous route to get there. 

"Suuurpriiiiise!"

<_<


The bow on the front of the box has a little gift tag but bizarrely it says "happy day", not birthday, just day. Erm... 

Are we doing Day parties and presents now? It's wednesday! Happy day! Here's a gift! 

So I took my scissors to the tape holding the outer card sleeve in place and er.... the box exploded. 


I'm not even joking, it shot confetti everywhere. All over me, the floor, the sofa. I didn't expect that and I admit, I shrieked in quite an undignified manner. 


In the inner tray there's this little alcove that contains three little spring loaded "presents" full of confetti. 



 so as soon as the pressure is released they EXPLODE. 


WHY MGA!? WHY?

I will give them one point on the surprise-o-meter though. I was surprised. 

I'm not totally sure I understand the style direction of this doll seeing her little sister. The mini doll is dressed up like a pagent toddler and it's a bit unnerving. I dunno, I find toddler pagents really creepy okay? They squick me out. 

Anyway,

Miss Glam is a dark skinned doll with purpley blue eyes and dark brown curls. Her initial outfit isn't underwear, MGA have been doing this more lately. Instead she wears a matching bra style top and short mini skirt made from a stretchy sort of silver material with glued on jewels. 

She also has overknee stockings with silver dots on them.

Her lips are pearly pink and her eyeshadow is blue. She has some glitter on the eyeshadow but it's quite subdued compared to a lot of the other glittery makeup OMGs. I definitely prefer the more subdued effect here. 

Her hair is styled into two pigtails with a piece swept forward and pinned with a little clip that says "Party"

Her hair is dark brown with lighter streaks and ringletted.

Glam comes with the usual two garment bags, hat box, shoe box and "other" bag along with her little invitation instead of the usual magazine. 

The front of the invite is a picture of Glam with a cake? I think it's a cake.


and the back is like this.


Behind all the garment bags there's the "room" backdrop which is set up for a party (with that wierd cake) and a tv screen with a camera set up for the remote chat which I think is a cute touch. It does raise the question of who's eating all that cake then if the guests are having to attend virtually though. Glam, are you really gonna eat that whole cake girl? 

That's a lot of cake. 

These are all her "surprises". The 80s neon effect on the smaller one makes me smile. 

Most of her accessories are inside the hat box. And there's a LOT of them. 

She comes with a pair of earrings that say "Lol" and "omg", a pair of sunglasses, two fingerless gloves, a necklace/choker and 5 different hair clips. 

They all say different things. 

Xoxo

Yass

Queen

Glam

Happy

and the one she came wearing which says "party"

and honestly i'm a bit bewildered by them because there's too many to look decent in her hair and all her art only has two in there. I assume you can mix and match them but you get some pretty strange combinations.

Glam Happy

Happy Party

Yass Happy

lol. Some at least work:

Party Queen

Yass Queen (didn't another OMG have this?)

Queen Glam?

But yeah, it's a bit awkward and random.

Her outfit features a baby tee that reals "partay!" in the most ridiculously 80s font i've seen in a while, a three tiered floofy skirt and a little bolero jacket with big bow shoulder... things. 

What's interesting about this is that the shirt is NOT featured on her artwork. She's advertised as coming with two outfits to "mix and match" which is quite fun. two tops, two skirts and a jacket. 

There's also a big fat blue bow made of shiny fabric with a little elastic loop.

She only has one pair of shoes though. They're platformed hightop sneakers.

 
 And she has a little handbag with a big shiny blue bow on it.
 
 


and it opens! 

Now i'm not convinced a lot of the stuff inside is to scale but the cracked phone screen absolutely slays me. 

I am curious though, who the invite in her bag is for. Is it her own invite? Did she invite herself? Because that's wierd. Then again, this is a girl throwing a "surprise party" for herself so... 

Her bag goes over her shoulder alright. I always prefer when they do a shoulder bag to a clutch or handbag because at least then the doll stands a chance of hanging onto it. 

I elected to dress Glam up in the bits as per her artwork. 

I have to admit, i'm a little worried about those gems because they don't feel very sturdy. I feel like repeat play may result in many lost gems. 

Her jacket is made of very stiff fabric but it's fairly easy to get on thanks to removable hands. I love removeable hands for dressing dolls heh. 

Her skirt is a little transparent but it was too bulky with her silver skirt underneath so I took it off. The skirt is a little bulky even without the other skirt under it, the way the waist band is sewn coupled with the layering from the tulle just results in a kinda bulky seam there. It likes to ride up which is a bit annoying. It maybe could have done with a crotch strap (lol) to hold it at the right height on her waist.

Her glasses fit okay, better than some omg glasses at least. They sit a little wonky because OMG dolls have no nose bridge for it to rest on. The lenses are glittery.

I took photos then remembered I forgot her gloves. Whoops?

The gloves are made from squishy rubbery stuff a bit like the shoes. They're surprisingly easy to get on actually. I thought they'd be a bit of a fight but it wasn't too bad at all. 

I put her other outfit pieces on my Uptown girl, mixed in with some pieces from other dolls. 

I think they're quite a cute pair. 

I honestly love how long Glam's tiered skirt is, you don't really see knee length skirts on dolls, they're always short so it's always refreshing to see a longer style. I've always been a big fan of knee length and longer skirts.

She looks so soft and innocent without her glasses on. 

She's extremely sweet. And of course I DIG the 80s vibes she's rocking. the 80s is my JAM. I dunno why because I was a baby in the 80s but I really enjoy the aesthetic of the 80s, as perhaps evidenced by my obsession with 1987 Sindy dolls hahaha.

Her stand is glittery too, and like the previous few dolls comes with three stand clips that I still can't figure out. 

Why three?

It's so wierd.

Anyway, I am very pleased with Miss Glam. We got off on the wrong foot with her bloody confetti bombing me but she redeemed herself by being extremely cute and having several very fun outfit pieces.

Overall, i'm bringing back my old stupid star system for nostelgic reasons and giving her a solid 9 out of 10 self induced bouts of amnesia. 

I don't like having to clean confetti off the floor MGA. Stop that shit.


1 comment:

  1. LOL, I like the old stupid star system! I like this doll too; I've yet to see her stateside. That dark blue looks good with her skin...er, vinyl. Whichever. She's cute.

    ReplyDelete