17 Mar 2020

BJDs - Dream Valley arrival

It's been 9 months, but they're here! they're finally here!

the most expensive doll order i've done to date.
*gulp*


So much box! actually it's four boxes taped together. Lol. Random.








Inside are three boxes. One giant, one medium and one teensy.

The teensy one is the event free gift but I admit, I actually didn't expect the two MSD dolls to have different sized boxes.
How big IS Grayson!??


Tiny Gary the dragon baby first.

The little box has a foam insert shaped to the little dude which is clever.


I qualified for the full set Gary so he came blushed and painted. He's exceptionally cute.

no eyes, interestingly, or certificate, but so adorable. He's absolutely tiny, those little hands are like the size of my fingernail! (Apparently he probably SHOULD have come with eyes, dealer is chasing that up.)

I don't intend to keep this little dude though. I try not to accumulate small animal dolls. They're cute but i've got to really keep my collecting focused or i'll drown in dolls.

Also selling him was always supposed to offset the cost of the other two because otherwise I just feel far too guilty spending what I did. Erp.


Medium box contains Vine on the special three armed monster body.
He's in tan, which is a rather unusual colour. it's a bit milkier than I expected but less transparent than I had feared. I can't say it's a very realistic colour though, it doesn't look like flesh tone, it's like a waxy milky orangey peach? I dunno, it's an odd colour.
But I think with blushing it should work quite well for my monster boy.

The boxes are neat, they have this foam insert with a velvetty top to them with all these pop out segments depending on what they put in the box. So there's an extra head slot, a torso/bust slot, two long slit segements and four round ones.


Vine shipped fully strung though his monster arm is a bit floppy, I need to look into why.

He has such a sweet little face.


Inside the two open circle holes was his "certificate" which is actually a sort of key fob made of some sort of plastic (it's fairly heavy) and a cardboard card that says "my dear master" which is... odd hahah.

The other hole had eyes, eye putty and a melamine sponge.

The eyes are really pretty, they're bright blue glass eyes.


Vine stands quite well, though his arm as I mentioned is a bit floppy and isn't always keen on keeping a pose. It has three jointed fingers with long claws which is freaking AWESOME.

At around 50cm tall he's on the taller end of MSD scale for sure, he towers over my other dolls. They come up to about his shoulder on average lol.


He got his custom eyes from LemonJelly. I couldn't resist the double iris eyes, they're too cool. 


Concept arts heheheh. His wig is actually going to be a lot more asymetrical. Should be fun.


Grayson was an event doll, time limited in his dragon form. I love me a good fantasy doll so I sort of fell in love with him heh.

I got him in white because my options were pretty limited. Dream Valley only do white, pinkish peach and tan. I had planned to dye Grayson a deep crimson but i'm also TERRIFIED of this idea.

His box is HUGE to accomidate his tail, wings, horns and extra parts.


He came with his human feet, in case you want to switch them out for some reason, and these two other pieces which I think might be replacements for his wing hands? But i'm not totally sure.


Grayson is a PAIN to get to stand up. His legs are the same as Vine's just with a different foot piece and that's not the problem, the problem is he's extremely top heavy. His wings and tail both add a lot of weight to his torso and also pull him backward, shifting his center of gravity. His tail is jointed but not exceptionally so, and it doesn't really seem to be weight bearing, so it takes a LOT of fiddling to get him to stand without support and I couldn't trust him not to topple.

He has a sweet smiley little face, pointy ears and two sets of horns. The first set are molded with his face, the second set are on s hooks so are fully posable.
His wings and tail are also strung into his body, no magnet attachments here, which is cool because it makes those pieces posable and more inclined to stay attached. though it does mean clothing will be a challenge.

One hand is molded to hold something, the other is relaxed. I'll need to get him something to hold so that hand doesn't look awkward lol.


He has teensy little lizard feet


His tail is made up of several segments and can be posed as I mentioned, though as the segments are quite flush with one another there's not that much motion. Enough to get his tail to curve to one side or something, but it's certainly not going to be able to do anything dramatic. It's also REALLY heavy.

his wings are three pieces and can pose really well, he can pull the totally forward over his shoulders and rest his wing hands over one another kinda like a gargoyle from the disney show heh.

The wings membrane is very thin and semi transparent with molded spikes which are SHARP and snag literally everything that comes near them.

one wing is floppier than the other and likes to droop a bit. I'll need to investigate why. He might need some hot glue in the joints to give it enough friction.

Another problem is that wigs are gonna be a nightmare for this guy.
His head is slightly larger than Vine's putting it somewhere between a 6-7 wig and a 7-8. 6-7 feels too tight and pings off his head, 7-8 is too big and just falls off. His horns don't help as they mean you can't pull the wig fully forward.
I'm not totally sure how to tackle this complication. My only other doll with molded on horns wears a mohawk style wig that completely avoids the issue.


White is such a pain to photograph.

His eyes are by Lemonjelly, they have a black sclera, yellow iris and shimmery slitted pupils which is neat.


This was my original idea for his dye and blushing but I might go maverick with it and do something else lol.
I dunno.

I have dye, I just don't have courage.

I am however leaning toward a black wig if I go the crimson route. The problem is style. Long hair will get tangled constantly in his wings but short wigs are unlikely to fit so well given his horns. Nghh.
Maybe a nice long braid hahaha.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete