12 May 2019

May Roundup... sorta

I've been on a bit of a dolly diet lately, but as everyone knows, diets are seldom sustainable and inevitably I was going to fall of the wagon in a big way.

Thing is, it HAD been relatively easy to stick to my diet because stores had nothing that tempted me, the local charity shop hasn't had any interesting dolls in for months and there's just flat out nothing NEW on the market that really screams "buy me".

unfortunately, bootsale apps still exist...
and i'm weak...




So really this all started because I spotted this:


A small BJD (he's 34cm tall) from Island doll and I just... I fell in love with this little wierdo.

I mean COME ON! It's a grinning pumpkin head with an eyeball hat!

I ummed and ahhed for like a week before my husband was all "I WILL PRESS THE BUY BUTTON MYSELF IF I HAVE TO!"

So I bought him.

He'll take several months to be produced but nghh, I couldn't resist the craziness.

Unfortunately once I popped the seal on buying things a whole load of stuff cropped up I couldn't resist. ARGHHh.


These were a charity shop find. The three bigger dolls are "Princess Magic Touch" dolls by a company called Colleco (who made Cabbage Patch Kids) while the smaller one is a Kenner Wish World Jessie.

They were too 80s/early 90s to resist heh. The whole bag of four was £5 in the posh charity shop on the bridge I only go to every so often (because it's a fairly long bus ride away)

I'm not sure what i'll do with them yet. The one with the really yellowed torso looks like a good candidate for hybriding <_<


Their faces remind me of a LOT of toys of this era. What is it about late 80s and early 90s dolls and star eyes?


Oh yeah I also bought silver hair Barbie, being used here to show scale.


The I was kinda... browsing... the bootsale apps... <_< when this popped up.
£30 for the lot. WHUT?

I wanted She Who Can Not Be Named because she's spooky as shit but usually fairly expensive to buy (well by my standards lol)
I already own an Onyx, she's a freaking cool doll too.

I couldn't pass up such a bargain so I met the guy in a carpark near Sainsburys and it was amusingly clandestine.

She Who Can Not Be Named will join my small LDD army while the others i'm going to rehome. Ezekiel might end up staying if nobody wants him, I mean.. he IS a boy doll and you know what i'm like with boys haha.


But come on, look at this creepy girl! I adore her.


I also found someone selling a Boxy Girl for £4 deboxed and was like "YES!". I was curious about them, especially the bodies because other people said they had pretty decent little bodies.
They're £17 new over here and that's just obscene!

She arrived like this and it cracked me up. Poor girl looks drunk.


She came with some extra stuff. Some huge green earrings, an extra pair of shoes, a green bag and a purple hair extention.Oh and a bracelet.. necklace? thing? I don't know what the silver bit is okay, it looks too big to be a bracelet but what do I know?


These are wierd little dolls with a blind bag gimmick I think it actually fairly cute (their accessories being the thing blind bagged) but they have super strange pixel faces which is odd given literally nothing else about them is stylised in such a way.

This is uh... Nami? I think that's what it says on her box. She's a sort of orangey brown colour, very orange in certain lights actually.

What I kinda like about her though is she has teensy little freckles! You don't see that on darker skinned dolls much.


She has a huge very hard head that cannot tilt, it only moves side to side. It's strangely flat in profile, very stylised, im not sure I like it tbh.

Her eyes are big square shapes with stars in and a little green eyeshadow which goes nicely with her earrings.
her lower lashes seem to be green too which is... interesting.

She has a cheerful little smiling mouth, a tiny button nose and actually pretty normally sculpted ears.

Her headband has silver feathers molded into it. It's stapled to her head and looks pretty short so I don't think it'd stay on without the staples. *Sigh* I'm tired of companies doing this. Headbands that are too short to sit on a doll's head without staples FAIL as headbands damnit!


Her hair is styled in two bunches at the top of her head and then long waves. It's okay fibre, I think it's nylon but it's okay nylon. Certainly it doesn't seem to be crazy frizz madness.

The style though is a bit complicated so I doubt it's a style you really want to try to take out. It's rooted to be really in this specfic style, the part line finishes in the middle of her head so her parting is sort of an upside down T shape.

Her head is VERY flat, the volume of hair helps to make it look less pancake but yeah, she has a pancake head. It's wierd.


She has a fairly decent body though. Really nicely sculpted hands and feet, shapely lower legs and a teensy little waist. Her torso shape reminds me a bit of the 2010 Bratz actually, but she's quite a bit smaller than a Bratz doll.

Her arms are HARD plastic like the rest of her, which actually surprised me I have to admit because the way they're made reminded me a lot of dolls like active Sindy who had rubbery bendy arms with internal wires. Alas, no such articulation here.
However, the ball joint on her shoulders and hips and the rotational joint in her knees and wrists mean she can pose pretty dynamically despite having no waist or elbow motion.


I love me a rotational knee joint.

Also she stands like a ROCK. It's unusual for a doll this top heavy to stand so well but she manages it without any real effort. I love that.


She has fairly large feet for a doll her size which reminded me a bit of Sindy shoes. They're a little wide for an 80s Sindy doll but they're certainly the right length.
I suspect therefore that Sindy will fit fine into the chunky boot style shoes of this line, which is cool. More Sindy shoes are always good in my book haha.


Her outfit is simple but cute. A little leopard print shirt and a glittery skirt. Both fasten with velcro and are pretty well made items with no labels in them.


I went through my stash of small doll clothes and learned that La Dee Da, Monster High, EAH and Bratz were all too long in sleeves and torso and too big in the chest as well.

2015 Bratz stuff looked like it might fit relatively okay but the sleeves were waaaaay too long on the pieces I had.

Pinkie Cooper stuff however, fit perfectly, as if it was made for her.

the colour is good too.

the fur shrug is actually Monster High and fits her pretty well but it was always very tight on MH.


The Boxy Girls are shorter than either the Bratz (this one has a Hairdorable head on lol) or even the little sister Monster High dolls.

Wierdly though, while she can't fit into those clothes, she CAN fit that tiny lil' Bratz boy's shirts.


Getting her hands through the sleeves can be a bit tricky but yeah, once they're over the hands they fit like they were bloody made for her!


What is this witchcraft!


There's no way the boy pants will go over her hips and the lil' girls stuff is even smaller but the lil' boyz shirts fit her so well!
It really surprised me.


Her strange face is kinda growing on me. I still think she's a dang wierd looking little doll but I really love how expressive she manages to be just by virtue of her well designed body.

She also feels pretty sturdy for a jointed doll. I mean i've been roughly tugging on her wrists and arms and she's just taken it.

I don't think they're worth what is being charged for them, but for £12 or less they aren't bad little dolls if you can stand their strange facial features.

the blind box accessories is cute too though mine was opened so I didn't get that fun and looking at reviews online it looks like the dolls come with pretty much the same stuff each time so it's not really that MUCH of a surprise. I think that's a shame.

Still she's an interesting addition to the collection.

I'm having too much fun with posing her lol. Which is odd for a doll that's not even that articulated. Go figure.


The last thing I got off the bootsale apps was this lil dude.

Only place I saw Fugglers for sale was the Entertainer months ago and they only had like TWO different ones, neither of which I liked that much.
Sadly it seems the UK market has already given up on them as they're discontinued everywhere.
Drat.

I liked this one, I wanted one of the teddy bear shaped ones and this one is a teddy bear AND fuzzy so whoo!


Fugglers are a wierd brand, they were originally made by an artist who sold one off art dolls using false teeth to give them wierd goofy expressions and Spin Master saw this and thought "oh hey, creepy toothy teddies are totally something we can market to kids!"

so they bought the rights and created a whole line to quite a lot of fanfare tbh.

They released them in waves of about 6 different ones at a time with even rarer "chase" figures suggesting they really did expect them to take off as far more of a craze than they appear to have become.
Sure, some people have gone crazy getting one of each but given they're getting harder and harder to find, it doens't look like ENOUGH people were willing to spend the time and effort going store to store to find the ones they wanted/needed.

The distribution was odd. As I said, the Entertainer only had TWO for months, they never seem to have gotten a second lot of stock in and a lot of places only got a couple of different ones, meaning if you wanted a specific one you had a lot of legwork to do, and come on, who wants to travel store to store searching for a damn plushie?

Sort your shit out Spinmaster.

The marketing on these amuses me though. The website has a lot of stuff about how you're making a terrible mistake adopting one. It amuses me.


They come in very simple brown cardboard boxes which I rather appreciate. No excess packaging or anything. In fact, this guy was held in by literally ONE single plastic tie in his back.


Under the little tray that holds the bear is an adoption certificate made of just regular brown paper, it's quite thin and flimsy and a bit disappointing. I was hoping it'd be a bit thicker, it doesn't feel very robust at all.

The code encourages you to go "register" on the website which I did but I can honestly tell you, nothing happens. It seems to just be a bit of a con to get you to sign up for their newsletter. Nothing else happens, which is disappointing. I was hoping it would allow me to print a birth certificate or something you know? just... anything that made imputting that code at all relivant.
but nope.

For all the song and dance the website makes about registering adoptions, i'm really disappointed it doesn't DO anything.


The other side of the certificate just advertises their instagram page.


But let's get a look at this fuzzy lil' dude.

He's about 9 inches tall and kinda flat tbh. I expected him to be a bit more 3 dimensional but he's sort of... flattened, squished almost. This could be from being crushed into a cardboard box, i dunno.

Certainly they are VERY simply made little toys. He's roughly bear shaped with short arms and legs, buttons for eyes, a teddy bear nose and 13 false teeth that are quite remarkably realistic and very securely attached in there.

His tag is HUGE.


He has a button butt hole ahahaha why???

Kinda funny.

Husband hates him. He'd dubbed him "oh god no" which I think is a pretty good name. So "OGN" for short lol.
He's gonna hang with the cursed twins.

Apparently he's not allowed out of his box, ever. *snort*

Poor OGN. So misunderstood. He just wants to nibble your face while you sleep!

3 comments:

  1. You finally posted something! I've been checking almost daily because since The Toybox Philosopher left, yours is the only blog I read.
    I discovered Shpock sometime last year and I half regret it. I've been trying my best to only buy things that I've wanted for ages but something interesting will pop up and I'll cave. What can I say, I'm weak. I've promised myself I'm going to delete the app and only check once a month or so. (I did this before, managed for approximately a week, and then reinstalled it because of all the deals I worried I was missing out on, but now I shall call upon my inner strength and fight through the temptation!)
    I feel really bad about buying some things, because I have so much stuff in boxes but I just crave that 'new thing' feeling,you know?
    On another note, I saw a purple Fruggler (autocorrect correcting that to 'druggie'! :D) and was horrified. I remember calling them 'the stuff of nightmares'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahahaha I removed the app but it wasn't enough! It wasn't enooough!

      Yes i'm back. I gotta really motivate myself to update more regularly but i'm a lazy bum. I have a few things to review in depth, i've just been all "dun wanna undress dolls arghhhh *flail* " hahaha.

      Delete
  2. It's terrible because I've found some amazing things on that site, even some of my dream dolls. I've been meaning to take pictures of them, write review and haul posts, but I'm very lazy, too. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to Shpock. I find myself obsessively stalking the site at random times during the day. Not good, especially when you're trying to save up.
    Undressing dolls can be a nightmare sometimes, and don't get me started on doll shoes (getting MT Leigh's shoes off nearly killed my fingers).

    ReplyDelete