28 Jul 2014

Monster High Invisibilly and Neighthan Rot

Boys boys boys, omg boys.

<_< >_>

BOYS!


Ok I think I have that out of my system.


This season Monster High has given us not one, but two brand new male characters. I feel spoiled.
Better yet, they aren't proving to be an absolute needle in haystack to find! YES!
Neighthan a good friend from the US sent to me, while Billy came from Amazon.co.uk, so let's get around to actually reviewing them shall we?
I can't wait to get my hands on these boys... wait... that... came out wrong.
*cough*


First up, Billy! Excuse my ugly thumbs.

Invisibilly is the son of the invisible man, and started out as an april fools joke from Mattel. A joke so glorious, he simply had to become a real character.


Fastforward a few years and we finally got a real invisibilly, and it was totally worth the wait.


Part of the new Scaremester line, Billy's box is just like all the others in that line with an open locker, spilled books etc. Come on kids, you just gonna leave your essays all over the corridor like that? Pick that stuff up dude!

Anyway, Billy's design hasn't changed too much from his initial artwork. Camo cut-of pants, black and white slip on shoes, white belt, blue and black gradiated hoodie and that blue beanie.
His hair's grown a bit, and he's lost his turned up cuffs but otherwise, he's pretty spot on for his art and animated form.

What has changed is his bio. Only two sections from his original joke bio remain, least favourite school subject and the blurb about his pet.

He HAS a fashion style, what he calls "blipster" lol.

His flaw related to him being invisible but is far less puntastic.

He's into drama and special effects, just like his old man instead of being into physics.
(His diary mentions his dad's working on a movie where a bunch of people are fighting over who gets to sit on a throne of bones lol. So uh.. Game of Bones?)

His favourite activity is relating to special effects instead of pranking.

Even his pet peeve is different. He's annoyed by people thinking he's a ghost.

He also has a proper favourite colour (Invisi-blue? that's not a colour dude!) and food (seafood and pie? what? Is that a reference to something i'm missing?)

I NEED to give mine a box that may or may not contain a cat... which may or may not be dead. Ahem.



Anyway, here he is out of the box.
I admit, I DID rinse his hair. Out of the box his hair was a gelled solid mass, it was gross. A quick rinse in warm water and it's soft and brushable. Yay!

His hat is stitched to his head, but I clipped the stitches. The way it was held on looked ridiculous to me and it stays on just fine without the stitching.


Billy has pale grey skin with a hint of blue which gradiates into transparent blue at his feet.
His eyes are grey and his hair is actually dark blue with lighter blue streaks.
Unlike many of the MH boys, his lips are completely unpainted. Most of the boys have a soft blush at least to their lips, but not Billy.

He wears a blue and black hoodie which appear to be different for every Billy thanks to the gradient fabric used. Mine is more black at the front and the hood is very blue.
Worth nothing about the hood, I couldn't get it over his head. It's constructed like all the Mh hoods, with a hole in the middle but even so, it wouldn't stretch up over his head without his shirt rising up and exposing his belly. NOT a good look.

Around his neck he has what looks like barbed wire? a similar bracelet is around one wrist and a digital watch on the other (Set at the time of 10:58 which my husband informs me is the display standard for Casio. Sadly doesn't seem to be any deeper meaning than it's simply what digital watches are photographed displaying. Bummer.)

Billy has this random belt sash.. thing which I initially thought was a backpack. It isn't, it's a sash of pouches that goes totally around his body. It's not in his art so I really have no idea what it is.
It does look cool though, it's got great texture to it. Sadly none of the pouches open, because that would have been too amazing.

His belt is fairly standard, studded and white.

Then he has these camo pattern cut-off jeans.
I'm not entirely sure about the cut of the jeans, seems a shame they lost their cuffs because without them they honestly look a little uh.. effeminate.


His shoes are slip ons with a random black and white pattern that doesn't match.

I didn't get a picture (photographing white is a nightmare) but the soles have a spiderweb tread pattern. I love how all the MH boys have random tread patterns under their shoes, it's such a bizarre touch but it's a fun little hidden detail to discover.


Billy, like the rest of the New Scaremester, comes with a stand, a diary and a folder, but no pet. Billy's folder is black and it opens like the others, but there's nothing unique or specific about it.

As you can see, the gradient pattern of his hoodie and that pouch sash thing.


It honestly makes me think of scout sashes lol.


Billy's hair is shoulder length and swept over one eye. It's a little thin on top, but thankfully his beanie covers any thin parts nicely (Picnic Casket Jackson should invest in a hat)
His floppy hair helps conceal his slightly errored eye (one is slightly larger than the other on my doll)

With the gunk washed out, his hair is lovely and soft but a little prone to flyaways.


one of the big things I wanted to know when Billy's doll was annouced was "will he have his ear guages". In his art he clearly has plugs and I wasn't sure if Mattel would actually pull through with it.
I'm pleased to say they did. Billy has both ears pierced and guaged with a little stud representing a plug in each. (Bratz did this as well with a few of their alternative lines, I always felt it was an elegant solution)



 Again excuse my ugly hands. Billy has fairly large ears and his lobes are slightly elongated, a lovely touch to make the guages look all the more authentic.



Unlike Spectra, Billy's legs aren't completely see through, they're more semi-opaque and a greenish blue colour.


Skin tone wise, he's closest to Slo-Mo who's also a bluish grey. However Slo mo is a darker and more purplish tone than Billy.


Scarah is absolutely DELIGHTED to get her man at last.


And what a sweet pair they make.

Overall, I'm very pleased with Billy. despite mine's slight error, he's adorable and I do love that he's a longer haired boy with pierced ears, great to see some alternative boys at last yessss.

I give him 9 potentially deceased felines out of 10. My only real gripe is that I wish his pants had kept their cuffs.

Now, speaking of long hair boys.


Holy rainbow vomit it's Neighthan!

No box photos as he came to me deboxed.

Neighthan is a hybrid monster, one of the new "Freaky Fusion" characters. He's a zombie unicorn... yes... a zombie... and a unicorn.. hooked up and had a baby. I just... yeah, better not to think about that one. His diary does make sure to point out his unicorn momma can take a humanoid form, but clearly the whole ZOMBIE DAD part didn't occur to Mattel writers as being a bit squick lol.

But that's ok, his friends include a skeleton moth girl, a mermaid ghost and a centaur harpy... that last one particularly freaks me out. Let's take a moment to just consider... a MALE Centaur... made a baby... with a female.... harpy... *twitch*

Thanks for that horrifying mental image Mattel. My therapy bill is in the mail.


Neighthan is a pretty boy, despite half his face rotting off.
He has large soulful blue eyes, a somewhat horse-like face and horsey ears. His hair is waist length, black with yellow, blue and red streaks and he has a transparent horn that's a little bendy.


His hair is VERY thickly rooted. It actually doesn't look like it should be tied back, there's too much hair for the hair tie. It's amazing how much hair this boy has!

The butt length hair isn't all though, Neighthan also has a rooted tail.


It's attached via a little plug in his back, and i'm not convinced it's going to stand up very well to play. It looks a little fragile and i'm reluctant to tug on it to see exactly how it's constructed for fear of tearing all the hair out.


Neighthan has somewhat questionable fashion sense. His baseball shirt features a macabre anatomical model with ribs, intestines etc, all done in eye gouging rainbow tones.

Personally I LOVE how horrendous this is, but I know there's people who recoil in disgust at this explosion of primary colours.

Like his shirt, Neighthan's pants have a vivid blue, yellow and red splotch pattern down one leg that seems to be inspired by muscles and tendons. Every one is different, much like Billy's hoodie.


His shoes are bright yellow with blue spattered dots on them (i'm not totally sure why)
They have studs on the front (don't step on this guy's feet ok?)


And skulettes on the soles!


he also has a garish yellow with blue dots cap. It's made of squishy plastic and actually goes on and comes off rather easily. Which is nice. There are spiked "horns" along the top that mimic his actual horn.
It's a very ugly hat, but it only furthers his hideous fashion sense and this makes me smile.



Neighthan's rotting skin doesn't end with just his face. oh no... it continues down his body. He has visible muscles in his arms, one of his legs and across his torso.


Even his back and palms of his hands have this detail!

Neighthan is macabre, adorable and bizarre. I adore him because he's so messed up. His terrible clothes only serve to endear this doll to me more. I can't quite explain why, but a doll with zero fashion sense just makes me smile ok?

I give Neighthan a solid 9 unsettling conception connetations out of 10. I'm still not sure that tail is going to stand the test of time even in my hands, I dread to think what a child will do to it. It just feels very fragile. However everything else is gorgeous and/or hilarious. Oh yes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to say that I love your blog so much! You're hilarious, and I love your sarcasm. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you have made me want these two MH boys...and I have never wanted MH boys before in my life.

    ReplyDelete