29 Aug 2020

Vintage bundle

I really gotta stop making cheeky "best offers" on auctions.

Lately this has resulted in me buying several things on a complete whim lol.

Anyway,

As anyone knows about me, big bundles of vintage dolls are one of my ultimate weaknesses. I freaking love em.

Anyway,

this bundle was sold as"good condition" but you know, I always expect that to be a bit of an exageration when I buy a large bundle of clearly filthy dolls.

Still 

a fair few were in a worse state than I anticipated. 

Let's take a look 


A lot of doll butts hah. 


I have no idea who this girl is. She is only marked "hong kong". She's lost her hands but it's curious that she clearly had jointed wrists once upon a time. Her head is doing that mottling thing cheap clone heads do but she even has inset lashes which is facinating and seems way too much effort for a clone.


Her hair is frazzled but seems to be two toned with a dull auburn red and blonde bits. 


The other clone in the lot looks more like a Malibu Barbie with the really long head and massive 5 head situation. 

She's honestly not very pretty. 


Her hair is a sort of ash blonde colour and spasely rooted, there's a clear line on her head mold that indicates where the hair SHOULD be rooted to but it's waaaaay off. 

She came wearing what I think as Sindy trousers and a shirt marked "ideal Tearie Dearie" which it turns out is a baby doll/toddler doll so it's interesting to me that the top even FITS a 1/6 scale fashion doll. 


Her body is facinating, it's extremely over engineered. Not only does she have the hinged joints reminicient of Action Girl and similar, she goes one step further by also having rotational cuts at the upper AND lower arm. I've never seen that before. They're interesting joints because they allow her arms to twist inward and it's a fairly clever solution to a single jointed hinge elbow and wrist. 

One of her knees is loose and hangs lower than the other but I can't work out how to get it apart to repair it. 

I believe she's a 70s doll, she has that sort of "look" but she has a whopping 10 points of articuation which is really bizarre. 

I have no idea who she is because as is so often the case, she's got no markings. 


I love these old 60s-70s labels heh.

There's two Barbie dolls in the lot. One is a generic late 70s/early 80s Barbie who looks just like the Barbies I inherited from relatives as a kid and HATED. Sorry Barbie fans, i've never much liked blonde, blue eyed Barbie or her manic as fuck grin.


She looks a little startled and her head is loose, though upon popping it off I couldn't find anything wrong with the neck connector so I wrapped some elastic around it and popped her head back on and that did the trick. Now she's not floppy.

The other girl is either Miko or Kira, i'm leaning toward Miko, possibly Beach Blast or something? She has purple eyeshadow. 

I admit I don't know that much about Barbies, especially not of this era, it's just not my area of interest. She has a really interesting face though.

Growing up my best friend's sister collected Kira dolls specifically so I always think of her when I see this sculpt heh.

poor Action girl has had a brutal haircut. A shame because she's otherwise in really pretty damn good condition. 

I duno if i'll reroot her or sell her on to someone with more desire to give her a fabulous hairstyle. Action Girls look awesome rerooted to be fair.

Tressy is looking a bit worse for wear, but let's be real, Tressy ALWAYS looks like she's had a rough night.

This one is Made In England which suggest she's an earlier one, 60s probably. She has ashy blonde hair that's quite sparse at the front, I don't really get why it's rooted like that. 

She has an okay face sculpt actually, she's just really shittily painted. Tressy suffers I think a lot for her paintwork. I've seen some stunning repaints that really bring out her sculpt a lot better than this dead eyed nonsense. She doesn't even have any eyelashes!

 

Some sadistic little shit has stabbed her in the boobs with a pin and in the forehead. Poor Tressy, what'd she do to deserve that?

Both these girls are Anna Moore, another Pedigree line. They're about 9 inches tall and very articulated, they were equestrians, hence those unflattering jodpurs.

The longer haired girl is in really nice condition with very soft hair.

They have strange faces with a really broad nose and a quite flattened profile, they always make me think of little fae critters heh. I think they're cute in a wierd gnomish kinda way.

short haired Anna had some wierd black staining around her neck so I popped her head off and laughed my ass off for quite a while at this find.

it's freaking hilarious.

Unfortunately the marker has leeched into the vinyl of the head badly. It's black all inside but also around the underside of the head and she has marker stains on her lips too. 

I'm going to try some oxy10 treatment to see if it helps. It may take a while. Poor girl.

Another Dusty. This one isn't as melted to hell as my last one but she's still got a face of nightmares.

I just... what even IS that mouth? Her sparsely rooted hair doesn't help. She has melt around her neck and arms which is common with this doll but only a small amount of melt on her legs, all of which could be easily cut away.

Two Hasbro Sindy dolls. The longer haired one is "I love makeup" Sindy judging by her earrings, the other one I don't really know.

She has green eyes and the older face sculpt Hasbro got sued over (because it looked too much like Barbie) which puts her at late 80s to early 90s. Her hair looks like it may have had a fringe at some point that was cut, or maybe that short piece is just her regular hair breaking off or being hacked. I don't know. 

She's wearing a Barbie outfit from 1984 that a friend on Tumblr IDed for me as "Day to Night Dancer"

I'm not a huge fan of the 90s Hasbros, they're sort of bland and characterless to me. The later ones are pretty enough but they're still kinda just... boring. Much like Barbie. (Again, sorry Barbie)


THESE are the Hasbro Sindys I like. The 87 Sindy dolls are so 80s in every way and I love it. 

Here we have Match N Set City Girl (Peach), an active who might be the ballerina but i'm not sure, Super Cool Sindy (Who has blue eyes which is unusual) and a basic tanned Sindy. Ballerina is floppy and needs restringing.

The basic bodied girl has a badly split head.

Like holy shit it's VERY badly split. The darker skinned girls have very hard heads so they're not really designed to be popped off like the soft headed dolls can be. The head just splits apart if you try that. 

I don't know if i'll be able to repair her. The split on her face is pretty bad and very obvious. Poor girl. She has shit hair too, it's been cut short in places in a manner that seems really random and it's crimped only on the cut parts so i'm utterly bewildered by it. Maybe it was in small braids and some little "darling" hacked them off? 

Who the hell knows.

Whatever the case, the hard head means a reroot would be a pain and the head is already so damaged it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Also in the lot was this sorry looking Pedigree Sindy. She's a cut and style Sindy from 84. I have two of these already. She should have a hair piece inside her that you can pull out to "grow" and style, but as is often the case, she's lost hers.

She's also lost the lid that clips onto her back to hold the hair piece in. Again, this is quite common. Only one of my two has hers. 

This poor girl is FILTHY and also her hair is FULL of mildew. It's disgusting. I spent quite a lot of time scraping away at her scalp to try to remove it but it's all inside her head as well and I can't scrub it off without tearing her eyelashes out in the process. 

Gross.

I have to assume she got wet at some point, maybe she was used in the  bath or something. Poor Sindy.

Maybe she'd benefit from a full reroot so you could rip all that gross mildewy hair out, sterilise the whole head and then start again. 

Her hair feels disgusting anyway. They used some sort of cheap as shit nylon for these dolls and it is really porus and just absorbs grossness.

Dawn is also filthy, she's in fact the filthiest of the bunch. Her face is CAKED in grime, it's disgusting.

And how's this for "good condition, no chews or splits" huh? 

poor girl. The plastic "bone" of the leg has punctured straight through. Ouch ouch ouch. 

She's a dancing mechanism doll so when you move one arm the other one moves and her waist is loose as heck. She might have been a majorette as she has one hand designed to hold something (baton perhaps?) but I don't know enough about Dawn dolls. These tiny 6 inch dolls aren't my thing. But there are a lot of people who love them so I should have no trouble getting her a new home where she can get the tlc she needs. 

Meanwhile, she's getting a bath. Because ew.

So... much... grime.

Hornby Cassy is interesting. I've had a few Cassy's cross my way over the years but i've never seen one quite like this one. She has a coloured piece in her hair, her hair is a sort of honey brown colour with pink and purple at the front and the outfit appears to be her original outfit.

It's a pretty epic outfit.

She's a cute doll. I've never hung onto any of my Cassy dolls but that's more because they're small (about 8 inches tall) and I try to stick to larger fashion dolls.

The bundle also included another Jennie. This time with most of her original outfit.


She's a very cute little doll. This one is tighter strung than the last one who was floppy as all hell. Wish she had her shoes. 

All in all, there's quite a few dolls here in decent enough condition to rehome with just a quick wash and comb. A few though will need a lot more work. 

I intend to keep a few of the 87 Hasbros, I didn't have a super cool Sindy so she's definitely staying with me. She's adorable. 

Now I have a long task of cleaning things up.


No comments:

Post a Comment