30 Jul 2023

Another look at the first Monster High reboot

 I have a tricky history with Monster High, particularly the first reboot or "gen 2" as the community has come to refer to it. Monster High was, for a long time, a sort of special interest and a source of great passion and joy for me, far too much in fact that I really over invested emotionally in little plastic people. Apparently this isn't uncommon for people with crippling depression but it's taken several years of being healthy mentally to get to a place I wanted to actually go back and reassess. 

I did this recently, rebuying Silvi and Venus for cheap and my feelings about the shortfalls and successes of g2 were much the same as they were back when they first came out, albeit with less emotion behind the disappointment. 

but i'm a curious sort and I had always kinda wanted signature Lagoona back then so when she popped up for sale with Frankie and Draculaura tagging along I decided it was time to take a look at the main ghouls at long last. 

What did gen 2 do right? What did they do wrong? And do the first reboot's interpretation of the characters deserve the ire they get? 

So, 

this time we're looking at "first day at school" Frankie, Draculaura and Lagoona. 

Lagoona was released after the first batch alongside Cleo and Clawdeen and by that point the reboot was already sinking fast. It means that here in the UK we saw them only briefly (if at all) in a handful of online stores before they disappeared forever and didn't even make it to a lot of regions of the world.(I've always wanted Cleo too but not enough to pay what ebay sellers are asking for her).

Weirdly, least from my experience, it seems Lagoona is the more difficult to find. Go figure. 

Anyway, 

Frankie, Draculaura and Ari (AKA Spectra but make her a pop star) made up the very first batch of dolls for the reboot, but it gets a little muddled because 1: my memory of that period is absolutely SHOT TO HELL and 2: Mattel threw a hell of a lot of dolls out simultaneously for gen 2. 

But this was supposed to be the "signature" look, the outfits they would wear in all artwork and animation, their "default" appearance so to speak. The series was called "how do you boo?" and there's two different lines that use that name, the "first day of school" line, and a budget unarticulated line released at a similar time. So uh.. yay confusion? Thanks Mattel. 

I have never watched the animation, or the movie they crapped out. I had no desire to inflict that upon myself. I watched the first gen movies with a sort of  "i'm not the target demographic and it's rather cringe but it's also endearing in its cringe"  attitude but I couldn't summon that for the reboot media which was clearly aimed at an even younger audience and didn't even have Nerd corps' hilariously shit run animations to laugh at. Plus all the retcons were hard to stomach when they were opting for a "soft reboot" in a lot of ways but also steamrollering all their lore at the same time. Basically, the 2016 monster high reboot was a hot mess of Mattel not being able to decide what they actually wanted to do and not having the balls to actually wipe the slate clean and do a real reboot. 

Anywaaaay.

You can tell I get all passionate about this still huh? But you're here for dolls, not for my hyperfixations. 

Now, you're gonna hate me for this but I didn't actually take a photo of them BEFORE I started to fix them. So i'm gonna use stock images for the initial thoughts section. 

Let's talk about Frankie first, being as she was the main ghoul in both g1 and g2. 


gen 2 gave us whole new bodies for the dolls that were slightly thicker with chunkier more sturdy feeling joints, they also introduced molded "monstery features" for a lot of the older cast who had previously not had them (like hair moulded on Clawdeen's ankles and wrists and mummy wraps on Cleo's body) which was fun. Frankie however didn't get moulded on stitches except for a couple of her unarticulated dolls, which was an odd choice. 

that said, she does still have her stitching, she's still green, she still has her black and white hair and mismatched eyes and unmatching brown eyebrows. She even still has neck bolts. 

The G2 dolls didn't sell well as far as i'm aware. I remember seeing Frankie and Draculaura on clearance constantly and was often tempted to pick them up. I mean I quite LIKE Frankie's outfit here, it's preppy and cute and made up of multiple different fabric textures which makes the fact that it's all sewn together as one piece less obvious. 

She has fabulous red lips and the same purple eyeshadow of her g1 doll, but like all of the second wave her eyes are significantly larger and more doe-like, making her look younger and also kinda blank. Some would argue this is supposed to be "cute" but the lack of any real expression leaves the doll just feeling a little.... I dunno... empty? It doesn't quite work for me, especially once you put the doll alongside g1 or g3. 

Frankie's stitches have been made a little more subtle for g2, now instead of being black outlined they're a more blue tinted metallic silver with no outline. They're quite shimmery so it's not a change that really bothers me much. 

the g2 body has pros and cons which i've been through before. The limbs feel good and sturdy compared to g1, but the knees are also VERY stiff and difficult to bend. The arms are easy to remove for redressing compared with g1 which always hurt my fingers, but often the arm won't then click back IN securely. Draculaura's arm keeps coming off and I don't know why. So hmmm. 

Despite the stock image, Frankie's knee cannot in fact swivel that far inward. The g1 doll bodies can do that, but the stiffness of the g2 bodies mean you can barely swivel the knee at all before encountering too much resistance. If I attempt to emulate this pose I fear i'll break her whole leg off. The other problem I have with the g2 body is that often one leg is longer than the other, or sits in the hip differently and because the legs are so damn stiff and don't really move outward at the hip, readjusting them is nigh impossible. Frankie suffers this badly and ends up unable to stand even with her very chunky flat boots. One leg is too much too long. Which I mean, yeah, is hilarious for a frankenstein monster like she is, but isn't what I think Mattel intended.

Frankie and Drac were both sticky when they arrived, their hair was tacky and unpleasant and I feared glue head. However, after brushing their hair out it seems to have stopped feeling sticky so perhaps it was just styling product from the factory. Their heads aren't as soft as i'd like though, so I do still worry that there's unstable gross glue in there. I'm not sure when Mattel got their shit together and stopped ruining their own toys with that crap. 

 


My actual Frankie at last. 
I didn't get the bags with my dolls because they were secondhand. I'm not fussed, the bags look large and cumbersome anyway. 

Anyway, Frankie's hair isn't great but it's about on par with a lot of the g1 dolls. It's soft enough, though kinda choppy at the ends and it's styled in Frankie's typical style with the little front bit tied back. I'm sure this style has a name, but I don't know it. 

I did do some small revisions for my Frankie to get her to work better for me. For starters, I didn't like how blank and starey she was so I added the tiniest bit more black to the top of her eyes to close her lids down ever so slightly. It tones the thousand yard stare down a touch. 

Then I tackled the other thing about her design that was bugging me. The yellow. 
Frankie had yellow in g1 sometimes too and I never much liked it. Don't get me wrong, I really like the colour yellow, but adding too many colours into a design makes it visually cluttered and messy for me. In this particular doll's case, the yellow was present only in the tiniest stripes of her plaid, the F on her sweater, her earrings and the laces of her shoes. I like it on her sweater and the plaid, it adds a little pop but the addition of the earrings and laces felt like too much.
So I swapped her earrings out for some black and silver ones and repainted the laces on her shoes blue to match the rest of her outfit. 
I think it makes a massive difference. 



And while I was repainting laces I also painted the little bolt details on her boots. G2 had pretty blah shoe designs in a lot of cases, where they just lacked the intricacy of the g1 shoes which were tiny works of art, but the still had a little bit of detail on them. Detail that's lost by Mattel's refusal to even attempt to paint them. 

Frankie's all black boots have hidden in that sea of black some pretty cool nut and bolt heels and stitches all across the shoe itself. They're quite fun. 

I don't dislike g2 Frankie. I feel like she has had significantly more interesting dolls but I quite like this one's outfit even if it is a bit of a cheap copout having it all sewn together as one piece. 

At least because of the sweatervest the seam where the skirt and vest meet looks like an overlap rather than just a big ol' ugly seam. The addition of the belt also helps to further conceal that which I think was a smart move. 

g1 had a few dolls with badly done one pieces as well and they always piss me off. You can do it decently, Frankie here is an example of that, but quite often Mattel elect to just go "fuck it, it'll do". You'll see what I mean soon. 

I do wish this Frankie had more segmented hair. I never much cared for the Frankie dolls with the extra blended together black and white streaks because it ends up making her hair just look dingy and grey. When they did chunky more defined streaks it always looked better to me.

I don't think i'd have been happy with Frankie had I paid original retail for her. She's a very large downgrade from the dolls we had become accustomed to getting. When you consider that Boo York Boo York AND Freak du Chic came out only the year before, to go from those highly detailed dolls to these for the same price point was rather a huge shock. Great Scarrier Reef was still on the shelves when the reboot hit, sitting right alongside these. 



I don't think i'm being hyperbolic when I say that g2 Draculaura remains one of the most polarizing redesigns of this reboot. I remember people recoiling and lamented at length about this. 

you see, while the other characters look to have kept their original face molds, or at least something very close, Draculaura, for reasons known ONLY to Mattel, got a new face sculpt. One that sculpted her with a big ol' smile that felt more at home in Barbieland than the world of Monster High. 

it always made me think of those awful smiling sculpts they did for Ever After High before they finally ran it thoroughly into the ground. Those weren't well recieved either. So i'm not sure WHY Mattel got it into their heads that a grinning sculpt was a good plan. 

Draculaura went from their "safe" pink pretty girly character to "oh god she's gonna kill me in my sleep" for a lot of people and it's taken me years to adjust to this smile. 

Maybe it's not so obvious in her stock photo, but it's certainly a big shift. 

and baffling that ONLY Draculaura got this treatment. 

I'll be honest here, i've NEVER liked this Draculaura. Her dress is frumpy looking with a really "meh" length (it's neither short nor knee length, it just sorta... is), her cravat is a big chunk of ugly plastic, her boots don't suit the rest of her look, her earrings are out of place with the blue colour and her smile... oh god... that smile. I suppose the small mercy is that it's a closed mouth smile. Open mouth smiles on dolls absolutely creep me the hell out okay? I HATE THEM.

I wanted to give Draculaura a chance here though, I really did. I've repainted one of her blank heads before and the sculpt, though odd, isn't entirely without character. 

But even as I worked on her, my feelings keep flip flopping. Sometimes I think she's cute, other times I think she's awful. She's one of those dolls I simply cannot decide how I feel about. 

It doesn't help that her hair SUCKS. Her fringe was saturated in product which I brushed out so that's okay, but her actual pigtails refuse to do anything other than frizz. You look at her promo image, her hair was pin straight but the doll has waves which just refuse to actually curl OR straighten and just end up in this annoying in between state. If I could find my bloody hair straighteners i'd have a go at doing something with this hair but I don't know where they've gone. Attempts to curl the hair into something more defined failed as the curl falls out as soon as you move her. 

I don't know. Whatever the hell fiber they used is light and flyaway and annoying to style. 

I don't like her hair okay? It's bad. 

thankfully I WILL say that her actual doll has dark eyebrows and not the godawful orange looking ones of her promo doll (YIKES those are bad eyebrows) but it hardly matters because her fringe covers them anyway. 

So, my attempts to rehabilitate this doll started with the same thing I did with Frankie, a tiny bit of black on the top lid just to tone down the manic stare. This helped make her smile look more friendly and less "stab you in your sleep". From some angles she even looks almost... wistful. 

Next I gave her a headband/bow because she just looked unfinished without. I didn't have any pink ribbon unfortunately, I think that would have worked better but eh, you use what you have. 

next I took her dress up a little. i hated what an undefined length it was, it looked frumpy to me. I couldn't make it longer, so I made it shorter. I also added a little petticoat which was a cut off skirt from a cheap clone doll. The added ruffle around the hem I think adds a little cute playfulness but also gives another texture to break things up. 

I don't like this dress. I really don't. The top part is okay, it's a stretchy fabric with poladots and occassional bat wings with little ruffled cap sleeves. it's quite a cute thing. I don't hate the little peplum piece either which is a black zigzag hem piece. But the main skirt of her dress is horrible. It's made of stiff polyester that sits unevenly. It's thick, it's stiff, it has zero drape and it's not very pleasant to touch either. It rustles and it feels CHEAP. But mostly I just really hate the way it sits. Even shortened it still poofs out unevenly and just... I dunno, it looks off no matter what. At one point I considered pulling tight a running seam and turning it into a balloon skirt which would actually take advantage of the stiff polyester but i'm not sure that really works for the character. 

Ultimately, if I had the fabric and the ability, I would be inclined to completely remove the skirt and replace it with something else. Perhaps a plain black or even white to emulate her original g1 skirt? But that would be a lot of work and the top part isn't really special enough imo to bother putting that much effort into salvaging it.

Drac's skirt has tiny blue hearts in amongst the pattern but the big problem i have with the addition of the blue is again, like Frankie's yellow, visual clutter. Drac already has three colours going on in her ensemble. Black, pink and white. So the addition of blue AS WELL feels unbalanced, particularly when it comes often at the expense of one of the other colours (for example her cravat, which is only blue to tie in with her earrings which in turn are only blue to tie in with the hearts on her skirt which add nothing to the design anyway). Painting the cravat white, a colour it makes more sense to be and a colour that then ties in with her sleeves makes this piece less jarring to me. I also noticed when painting it that it has a little heart/lip pin with little fangs so I painted that (it was black originally) for another little pop of colour. 

Now, I would have liked to be able to match the pink of her dress but my paint options here are very limited and none of the reds would mix into a decent pink. they'd either turn a muddy colour or peachy which was kinda pissing me off. I need to buy some pink acrylic, it's not an easy colour to mix consistantly. 

Drac's earrings are little bat wings hanging from hearts. They're actually pretty cute but for whatever reason Mattel elected to make them BLUE. It made them stand out sure, but that wasn't a good thing to me. So I painted them a more reasonable colour. Pink for the heart, black for the wing. they blend into her whole look a lot better now I think. 

they may blend in a little TOO well though. Ahh well. 

 


Draculaura's little boots don't suit the rest of her outfit I don't think. Or more, her dress doesn't go with her boots. 

these were originally solidly pink with badly painted blue laces. It turns out they actually have some pretty cool detail on them when painted. The heels are a bat wing, there's a bat wing/cape sort of shape to the heel and toe of the boot itself and the laces have little heart charms hanging from them (least, i think they're on the laces because the laces both had a little painted line that intentionally touched each heart) and if you look at the artwork they're charms. 




I think these would be ADORABLE with lacy ankle socks. 

Also worth noting, the artwork not only shows that the skirt was supposed to be shorter, it was ALSO meant to be pleated.

It could have actually been cute had Mattel not cheaped out. Sigh. 

and that's the overarching feeling I have for g2. "this could have been something had Mattel invested more love and money"

I still don't know if I like this doll. I do like her shoes though. I didn't think I would when they were just ugly chunks of solid pink plastic but painted I do actually quite like them and think i'd actually use them. 

I might end up putting a prettier head on the body, ditching the dress and keeping the earrings and shoes. Heh. 

G2 Lagoona... honestly I still think she's an exceptionally pretty doll. I think Lagoona actually got off pretty light with the reboot because her original dolls already had massive eyes. Not only that, a lot of her g1 dolls were wall eyed and had blank unfocused stares.

Lagoona was part of the second wave of "first day at school" alongside Cleo and Clawdeen. They didn't get a wide distribution and like the first wave, the cost cutting measures were very obvious, especially on poor Lagoona here. 

can you see that big ugly seam right in the middle of her belly? they one they didn't even TRY to disguise with a belt or a clever overlap seam? 

yeah... that's what I meant when I talked about doing one piece outfits BADLY. 

It draws my eye. I can't help it. All I see is that big ugly seam where her shirt should end and her shorts begin. 

And it PISSES ME OFF because aside from that this outfit is actually pretty cute.

So of course I took matters into my own hands. 

the top wasn't that difficult to unstitch from the shorts and was long enough that I could just hem it a teensy bit and have a perfectly functional top. The hooded part has a false "layer" that makes it look like it's a separate overpiece so it works well. That said, no, the hood doesn't fit. Or rather, it fits over her head but it's clear they didn't design it to do so because it stretches the collar and pulls the shoulders of her shirt upwards if she does wear the hood. It looks terrible. 

For her shorts I had some black fabric nearby that I cut into a strip and sewed in as a waist band. I would have preferred a stretchy material but this was all I had and the shorts needed a waist band as they were completely lacking one. The back of this is really messy but from the front I think it looks pretty decent. 

I also painted the laces on her boots. Her boots have a lot of molded detail on them but I couldn't figure out what to do with any of it so I left it the way it was. I think they're fine the way they are with just that little pop of colour contrasting the laces. 

Then I tied her hair back which was easier said than done because another thing Mattel did to cut costs was root this doll very thinly and in a manner that her hair is only really designed to sit in ONE specific way without bald patches. As this is a doll who has no defined styling to her hair, rooting it so specifically feels strange as even loose it often falls out of that one specific way and you see her scalp. 

if you want to root hair thinly you gotta give the doll a fixed and defined hairstyle so that the hair is KEPT in that one specific position. Doing it with a loose style is just... arghhhh. 

Like the other dolls her hair isn't great anyway. It's soft enough but it's choppy and it doesn't like sitting neatly. I don't know how to describe it beyond "it doesn't sit correctly" so tying it back was an attempt to get it to look decent. (also it makes more sense for a sporty character to have her hair tied up in my mind right?)

Lagoona has no earrings, her only piece of jewellery in fact is a tiny little bracelet. I have to assume that Mattel decided the cost of her leg fins was such that they'd replace the necklace and earrings every other character got. Because they really were pinching each and every penny they could here. 

What I find particularly baffling about Lagoona's outfit here is that Clawdeen and Cleo BOTH have separate pieces. Clawdeen in fact has a three piece outfit with jeans, top and jacket, plus a bracelet and necklace. Cleo gets a top and pants, headband, earrings, necklace and bracelet. 

yet Lagoona gets one bracelet and a one piece ensemble that could have been two had they just sewn a tiny sliver of fabric to the top of the damn shorts. How much was that really gonna cost Mattel? Seriously? Were Lagoona's fins really that expensive an extra? 

Anyway, i'm glad I at least got her outfit to look okay. My sewing isn't very neat but i'll take some sloppy seams over a big ugly one. I need LAYERS on my dolls damnit, I need that visual "texture". The lack of it makes my brain itch something chronic.


Anyway, I didn't do much more with Lagoona because she didn't have any other accessories to paint.

So here are my three gen 2 girls. 

I don't hate them. I really like Lagoona now i've fixed her clothing and Frankie is fine, albeit a little bland compared to g1 and g3 Frankie's. But I still just... Draculaura...why? Why did they give her a completely different face? Why did they fuck her hair so badly? Why did they give her such an ugly dress? I just... argh. The girl got utterly shafted by g2. 

thankfully g3 Drac is absolutely stunning. Vindication for our girl! 

But it does mean that this Drac is likely to end up cannibalized for parts. Sorry g2 Drac, but you're not sparking joy for me. You're just confusing and frustrating me. 

because like I said, sometimes I look at her face and i think "oh she's sorta cute" and other times I shudder. And sure I could attempt to repaint her, but her hair still SUCKS and I don't have the energy to reroot her as well. She's not worth that sort of work to me. 

what would be a lot easier and likely a lot more effective would be to find a draculaura head and clothes I DO like and stick it on this body. Because even though the stiff knee joints are kinda annoying, I DO like the g2 body over the g1. The sturdier joints make them stand better, hold poses better and they don't turn into floppy ragdolls like the g1s do. I'll take restricted knee mobility if it means their knees don't just crumple under them constantly. 

Does g2 deserve the ire? Mmmm.. kinda? yeah? I mean, it came out of nowhere without a pause between which led to a very confusing situation for fans and consumers where both g1 AND g2 dolls were on the shelves together along with the media (dvds, books, comics). I feel like that was a big mistake because it didn't give fans of g1 any time to process the discontinuation of a franchise they'd known and loved for so many years, nor did it give any newcomers to the franchise any real clarity on what was canon and what wasn't. Great Scarrier Reef came out literally a few months before the reboot happened, but was that therefore canon to g2 or g1? Why did some dolls use g1 faces and others use g2 throughout 2016? (not even a case of old stock still being on shelves, they literally released multiple g1 dolls to stores while ALSO trying to reboot the franchise. talk about confusing) 

On top of that the clear quality drop was obvious. Yes, the last few g1 lines had seen a drop in quality as well and no, i'm not going to claim the original dolls were "super high quality" either because they WERE clearly playline dolls. But g2 was a very obvious downgrade. The shoe sculpts became less creative and more chunky in design, the outfits were overwhelmingly colourway changes of the same dress with large emoji style graphics rather than the more subtle and creative nods of previous designs. They used worse and worse hair, the faces were far less detailed and sorta lacking any real character and more and more we saw gimmicks and static bodies and moulded clothing. 

the first few g2 dolls, Shriek Wrecked for example, had promise. If you could look past the doe eyed less made up faces they were pretty detailed and somewhat fun. But things rapidly careened downhill from there. 

g2 was clearly the dying gasps of a franchise that was already dying a natural death. Toys typically only last for about 5 years before they naturally die off and some new trend takes their place. Monster High had already outlived any predicted life span Mattel had expected, not to mention spawned a whole trend of its own in "colourful supernatural fashion dolls" which every other toy company scrambled to get in on. But instead of giving it a dignified death they instead elected to drag it off its death bed, slap a fresh coat of paint over its wilting body and drag it through the streets to dance for a few more bucks. 

g2 was not a real reboot, it was a franchise desperately trying to eak out those last few gasps of breath. They invested only as much as they felt they had to and in a rather misdirected act, decided that instead of merrily accepting the tween market they'd unexpectedly gained, they preferred to stick with their safe familiar market, young children. But young children have short attention spans and no money of their own to spend. Unless you capture the attention of their parents, you're not going to get very far. 

and g2 MH just didn't feel like it was value for money. And as a parent, price and perceived "value" is a major factor in the sort of toys I would buy my kids. 

In an increasingly competitive market, taking a product that had tried and tested success and changing it so much in an attempt to court a different market was a mindbogglingly stupid move from Mattel. They HAD tweens, a notoriously difficult market to court when it comes to toys. And they decided they didn't want them, they were unfamiliar, a scary market that Mattel didn't know how to actually market TO. I've always felt like someone at Mattel high up panicked and gen 2 was less a reboot to try to save the line and more an attempt to shed the attention of an "undesirable" demographic. 

Because here's the thing, those stereotypical little girls maybe played with mh, but they also played with Barbie. Mattel already HAD their market. They already HAD their parent's money. And the sort of kids who liked Monster High liked it because it wasn't like Barbie. It didn't have a focus on babies and younger siblings, it didn't have princesses and all those trappings. (and yes, I KNOW most of us who had Barbies as kids didn't play with Barbie the way Mattel THINKS we did. I KNOW it was all soap opera drama and macabre but that's not how Barbie is marketed and that's important here). Monster High had characters with lore and background, interpersonal relationships, a high school setting that felt particularly familiar to those about to move up to high school themselves. Unlike Barbie who is basically a blank slate with only a vague "she's a princess" "she's a business woman" or whatever, MH already HAD that stuff there and ready for you. You could chose to ignore the canon if you wanted to, but you were always going to be aware it was THERE. And that coloured play. 

You can't really have a "favourite character" when everyone is Barbie. But Monster High encouraged that. And that in turn fostered a sense of community. "oh your favourite character is Clawdeen? Me too!""I ship these two characters together!" "I wrote fanfiction/draw fanart" etc. 

unfortunately G2 did away with too much of what made MH successful in the first place. The dark aesthetic that gave "not like other girls" kids plasuable deniability that they weren't playing with a DOLL like Barbie! their dolls were COOL and DARK and GOTHY and monsters! and monsters are cool while fairy princesses aren't. 

Then Mattel gave everyone a baby sibling to babysit because "little girls like babies", when the sort of kids who were playing with MH did so because they weren't LIKE those "little girls". If they wanted to play with babies they'd have baby dolls, or buy one of the many Barbie or Skipper babysitting sets.

Everything became about family instead of adventure and dumb teen drama which again, the dumb teen drama and adventure was what brought mh fans in in the first place. 

put simply, the kids who played with MH did so because it didn't tick all those corporate boxes of "what little girls like". Then g2 was forced upon the world and it was chock full of all those ticked boxes, making it clear that the kids who liked g1 for being different were NOT going to find that same here. THIS was a reboot for "Little Girls" (tm) and not YOU. It made it just like so many other doll lines out there. It lost what made it distinct and alienated the people who'd made it successful by turning it into precisely what those consumers liked it for NOT being. (does that make sense?)

and part of me has always wondered if this was Mattel being really stupid, or an intentional attempt on their part to sabotage the brand so they could then blame customers for "not buying them" or something. 

It's probably the first one. Stale old white men failing to understand "the kids" and falling back on tired stereotypes and outdated gender crap. 

because SOME of the things g2 did made sense and addressed issues with the original dolls. The stronger joints, the easier to remove arms/hands, going back and giving the original 6 characters more "monstery" features like later g1 dolls had. These in themselves were good things! And had they done that but kept the rest of the aesthetic consistent, left the canon people had become attached to alone or expanded on it rather than retconning it and not relying so heavily on gimmick dolls, maybe g2 would have actually kept the franchise chugging along for another couple of years. instead it hastened the demise of a franchise already starting to lose momentum as their demographic aged out and other things competed for attention in the market. 

we'll likely never know for sure, but i'm hoping Mattel at least learned a few lessons from g2's catastrophy. G3 isn't perfect and Mattel are making a lot of mistakes regarding their quality and penny pinching, but enough time has passed that an actual reboot at least works. That they can start again without it being so jarring and confusing. 

g2 overlapped g1 which did it no favors when it came to trying to tell its own story. And we ARE seeing a bit of that with the collector line dolls and their diaries but at least with them they're exclusive adult collector dolls, not literally sitting on the store shelf right next to the reboot. 

 G3 uses several of the good ideas G2 had, so we do at least owe G2 that. It wasn't ALL bad. 

And ultimately, I still quite LIKE G2 Lagoona and Cleo. They're pretty, even if they are a bit blank starey. 

And I appreciate that the dolls mostly actually stand the fuck up. 





This was a short one, i'm sorry about that. I'm trying to ease back into blogging after a long break. It wasn't an intentional break, my energy levels just took a dive off a cliff. But hopefully I can get back into my chaotic not schedule and open some of the bloody backlog of dolls I have had sitting here for months. (oops?)


Edit: An update because I just couldn't leave well alone. 

I went to bed thinking about Drac's dress and how much I hated the skirt on it so today I went back and spent a few hours cutting it away from the bodice and seeing if I could do anything with it.

I'm a lot happier with this look. I cut the whole skirt off leaving the black ruffle attached to the top. Then I cut the fabric of the skirt down and sewed it into a short mini skirt. It's a little rough and my velcro sucks but the top helps keep it in place and i vastly prefer how this looks to the original shapeless situation she had going on. 

I think the tighter skirt also makes her boots look more in keeping.

Still not sure where I stand with g2 Draculaura. She's cute enough I suppose, but compared to her G1 and G3 counterparts she's lacking a lot. 

Her hair still needs work. I really need to find that straightener.



 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment