17 Aug 2021

LOL OMG opposites club Moonlight BB and Sunshine Girl

 Yeah MORE omg. I know I know... I admit it, i'm kinda addicted to them okay?

These two have been teased for ages and FINALLY I found someone in the UK selling them for retail. They don't seem to have hit regular stores yet, I dunno why. It's SLOOOOW here in the UK for toys this time of year and it's really frustrating. 

Anyway, 

let's get into it.

The boxes are cute, they're mirrored so the dolls can be displayed in box side to side like this.

Of course this does mean the boxes can't align when you turn them around lol. The back isn't very interesting anyway, beyond having a full body illustration of both girls. I always like to refer to these when dressing the dolls to make sure I have all the bits and have them in the right places.

I started with Moonlight first and got very confused by the "peel here" label. There's a stopper inside the box which prevents the whole inner tray from sliding fully out so you have to remove this half circle to access the doll itself. It's wierd and feels pointless honestly. I mean, I at least thought maybe there would be some hidden image or something underneath but nope, it's exactly the same picture so why MGA? just.. why? Simply sliding the tray out worked fine ffs.

So as you can see (hopefully), sliding the tray out once you've removed that little half circle thing lets you see the doll. Otherwise the box only opens as far as the accessories with the doll behind her own portrait. 

Moonlight is Dusk's big sister and I keep wanting to just call her Dusk. <_< dum de dum. 

Her hair is kinda sticky with product and looks a mess in box. 

She comes wearing black bike shorts and a black fishnet sleeved top.

And she comes with the usual two garment bags, hat box and shoe box.

Her little magazine is much like the others with a picture of the doll, their starsign and a little inspirational quote.

Her backing card is cute. There looks to be either butterflies or moths in a jar and mounted on the wall, a cup of tea and some dried flowers above a framed picture of Dawn and Dusk. 

Though I find it somewhat odd it's a photo of the little sisters and not the omgs themselves. I mean, what big sister keeps a photo of her little sister and her little sister's friend on their wall? Wiiiierd.

Moonlight has navy blue hair (I think it's navy blue anyway, it's not quite black) that comes to her mid back and has blue streaks in it. The front pieces are gelled solid and fall awkwardly. The pigtails are also gelled. All her hair is slightly sticky. Gross. 

She has black nail polish which is cool and unlike her art, she has pale blueish purpleish lips.

She's very pale and her makeup is very neat with a blue line above each eye and subtle shading below the eye itself. She also has a tiny little beauty mark on her cheek.

her bag is inside the paper baggie tagged beside the doll. It's a chunky cube shape labelled "scary stories". It doesn't really LOOK like a book though.

It looks like a box. It does open though, which is cool. 


And her magazine is this time a "bff journal" rather than a fashion magazine.

Her hat box has black and white stripes and I love it. 

The shoe box is black with a more matte black stripe? it's a bit odd. Subtle.

Inside the hat box are all her accessories. AND another doll stand clip. Two were already in the box with the doll but here's a third one, in case you wanted yet more stand clips.

So along with her stand clip there are a pair of mismatched earrings, a pair of catseye sunglasses, a plastic collar piece (which incidentally is NOT featured on her artwork) and a lace... hat... uh... 

what?

The garment bags have cool patterns. I always enjoy the patterns on these but I can never find a decent use for them.

inside we have her main overdress (it's actually more of a skirt with an integral plether waist cinch/corset bit) , her long sleeved bolero jacket thing and a plether harness belt... thing. (which I also don't think is on her artwork lol)

Her ankle boots are FLOCKED, which I didn't expect. Why the hell are they flocked? that's fricken bizarre.

It's pretty messy too.

Her hat doesn't fit well nor go with any of her outfit. Her pigtails get in the way of the hat and you sort of have to RAM it down hard and it still pings off. I don't understand the hat, it doesn't go with anything, it's like.. a bucket hat style and it's bizarre. Very much feels like a "shit, we need to make up accessory numbers, what can we throw in here?" situation. 

Her overdress looks sort of strange over the top of those bike shorts too. It's such a fancy dress and then there's just these athletic shorts under... it's an odd look.

The stupid hat squashed her pigtails but they're so caked in gel anyway that I probably should just wash the whole doll and redo them anyway. *sigh* I don't LIKE having to give a brand new doll a spa session to wash crap out of their hair. It's work I don't anticipate having to do with something brand new and it leaves my hands sticky and triggers my sensory issues bad. 

please toy companies, stop caking dolls in gel. A little bit is find but when their hair becomes a solid crunchy mess it's TOO MUCH.

I ended up taking the advice of someone I saw on instagram and snipping a hole in the top of the hat and turning it into a skirt. I considered unpicking the back seam and resewing it completely but that felt like a hell of a lot more work than I really wanted to put in so instead I cut a hole, pulled it up over her hips, sewed up the messy bits and called it a day.

Imo it really helps to complete her look because it hides those shorts and makes her dress LOOK like a two layered dress rather than a wierd top over athletic wear.

I mean the hat even has a little tier to it where the "brim" was sewn. Works a treat. I can't work out why they elected to go for "random hat" instead of making an underskirt. It's so wierd.

I also want to mention that the belt harness thing was a pain in the arse because it feels extremely fragile and pulling it taught over several layers of fairly bulky lace fabric was NOT fun. It was very anxiety inducing. 

Her overdress and bolero both have a trim of little flowers which is quite thick and makes her outfit feel very deluxe to me.


Her hair hasn't been washed because i'm lazy and didn't want to undress her again so it looks a right state. But this is how she looks once you dress her. I love her outfit and I really do like her face and the colours of her hair. I just wish her hair wasn't such a sticky mess out of the box. 

I don't feel like her shoes will really withstand much play. Flocking is a pain in the arse especially on something like shoes which will be removed and put back on again repeatedly. It was a strange choice. I also feel like she could do with either some socks or some stockings/tights as her legs look a little bare under all those layers. 

I love her overdress and bolero though, they're absolutely gorgeous pieces. 

Sunshine also has a framed picture of her little sister and her sister's bff. So wierd. 

Her little "room" is very beachy.

Her boxes are pastel shades.

And her bags have the same pastel rainbow.

Her bag is... random. A first I thought maybe it was supposed to be shaped like a radio (hence the grill at the side) but then it has fish on it...  and it says "be back in 15" which is... just a random statement. Is this a reference to something i'm just too old to understand? I don't fully get what fish radios have to do with bbs statements. 

*shrug*

whatever. 

It's a rectangular bag with an opening at the top so you can put stuff in it if you had anything small enough. LOL OMG don't seem to really come with anything they CAN put in their bags in the first place... 

My phone was charging so I didn't snap pictures of her as I deboxed but I have... many thoughts. 

Her hair, like Moonlight's is slightly sticky and caked in product it really didn't need to be caked in. It's a beautiful shade of pink with a soft crimp in it but it feels super gross to touch.

Her two top buns are a bit crooked but it delights me that they have little doll scale scrunchies around them. They're fully functional tiny scrunchies! 

her makeup is pretty simple, just a little bit of pink on the eyelid but it works nicely against her rich tan.

Her earrings are actually labelled L and R which surprised me. They're hoops but also seem to have some sort of ear bud thing going on? I don't know if that's what they were going for. 

She has four butterfly clips in the front of her hair but for some reason MGA decided one of them should be the EXACT same shade of pink as her hair so it disappears completely. This was a wierd choice, honestly a different colour would have really helped make it clear there were four of them and balanced it out better.

Her hair is ankle length, unevenly cut and sticky. Ewww.

It's got this gentle crimp curl to it which i'm worried will wash out if I wash her hair but her hair is so gross I may have no choice here. 

And now I shall bring up my other "thoughts". 

so... 

Sunshine came wearing her undertop and shorts which is fine and normal for an OMG, but for reasons known only to MGA they decided that these short bootie shorts would then go underneath a pair of denim chaps (yes those aren't jeans, they're chaps, the striped fabric is her under shorts!) with holes that were LONGER THAN THE SHORTS.

*headdesk*

seriously, if the shorts were like 1cm longer they'd have been fine but they're not, which means when you put the pants on over the top you get a LOT of leg showing unless you carefully and very awkwardly shove the fabric down as hard as you can (I used a file I had on my desk to do this as it was the only thing thin enough to ram down there) and even then, as soon as you move her they ride up again. 

-_- 

It's a problem that could have been SO easily remedied if MGA had put a moment's thought into it too, which is why it annoys me. 

I don't mind the chaps, I mean they're a wierd choice to do instead of just regular jeans but whatever. What bugs me is that the gimmick of them doesn't WORK because the shorts that are supposed to form the under layer are TOO SHORT. 

The other big glaring design flaw is her belt. Her belt has two issues.

1: Once you do it up you CANNOT get it undone again. Least I couldn't. I tried, I pulled, I pushed, I squeezed and wriggled it but to no avail. That buckle will NOT release again. It hurt my fingers so I gave up. 

2: there are only belt loops are the front of her chaps/jeans which means the belt rides up across her back instantly and twists on itself looking terrible. 

the solution to the second issue was to sew two little loops of cotton on the back to form two more loops and keep the belt at the same height the whole way around her waist. But this is something that pisses me off about doll belts a lot of the time. If you're gonna do a tight belt at least make sure it has enough belt loops ffs! and MGA USED to do the appropriate number of belt loops. All the old Bratz clothing has four loops for belts! So what the fuck? 

And her third issue which is a minor one but still irks me is that her hairstyle means she can't actually wear her sunglasses on her head like in her promo pictures. They slip off or sit too low on her forehead and look stupid. So she has to either wear them, or I need to store them inside her hat box.

and i'm fricken drowning in OMG hat boxes at this point.


For some reason Sunshine's stand is transparent while Moonlight's is opaque. I assume this was to further highlight the opposites thing? but it kinda makes them look like they don't belong together as a set you know? 

How cute would it have been had they designed them so the stand bases could clip together or something? 

Sunshine's skates are like Roller chix, they don't roll (so disappointing) but they look cool (they have a rainbow heel on the back of them). They don't quite seem to fit properly though. They are marked L and R but the right one twists wierd and I can't work out why. 

I like these two, they're really pretty and their outfits are extremely detailed but Sunshine's design flaws made me grumpy (hence why there aren't so many photos of her) and their hair needs work which I just don't have the energy to undertake at the moment. 

So be aware if you do get these two, they aren't quite so "throw straight on the shelf to display" as many of the other OMGs are. They need a fair bit of fiddling around to get looking their best.

All in all, I give them a decent 7 out of 10 invisible butterfly clips. They'd have gotten a much higher score had their hair not been sticky and gross and had Sunshine's damn shorts been just a cm longer goddamnit. *GRUMP*


2 comments:

  1. To me, the 'radio' purse looks more like an old-fashioned, portable tv. So maybe that's what MGA was going for, with the 'back in 15' message subing for the 'stand by' screens that some television stations used to use, before my time.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Moolight bb. She is gorgeous.
    I don't plan to adopt Sunshine except if I find her reduced or second hand.

    ReplyDelete