25 Jan 2019

January Roundup

It's still a bit of a dolly drought over here, as it almost always is. January is a dry dolly month in the UK with the big restock not till the end of the month.

But even with a restock looming, it's pretty boring. We have, over the past few years been getting less and less in the toy section, the Argos catalogue which used to be SO exciting has steadily dwindled from 6-8 pages of exciting new dolls to 1 page of same ol' same ol' barbie dolls and junk.
I'm not convinced 2019 is going to change the trend and suddenly give us things worth caring about all of a sudden.

I mean new stuff is hitting but it's almost all blind box stuff or massively overpriced or just not to my taste at all.

I wandered through the Entertainer a few days ago and half the damn store is LOL!




I considered a Cutito just because I like their realistic plush tortilla blanket (I so want the human sized ones they gave reviewers omg. COME ON! Gimmie one! I want a plush tortilla blanket!) but the plushies inside are kinda meh and £10 is a lot for a silly tortilla.

The Boxy Girls have hit main stream toystores but god... I just can't warm to those squashed faces and their bodies don't look that interesting either so meh. Also Entertainer wanted £18 for them! like what?
they're £14 on Amazon which is too much I think. They're not pretty to my eye and their gimmick just isn't interesting enough. Plus I suspect they all actually have the same things in them anyway.

Amazon also have Piny Pon bigger dolls that look to be about 10 inches tall. I think they're interesting but again, not really to my tastes, a bit too flat headed and odd.

MGA's collector Bratz are still way too expensive and the reviews keep flooding in complaining about the shit QC so i'm just waiting till Amazon get antsy and try to clearance that absolute abortion of a line.
That said, Cameron dropped in price and was the one I really really wanted so I used some vouchers to make him a tolerable price.
I'm weak...

Entertainer have also started getting in the last few Forces of Destiny things, another line that appears to have died almost as soon as it launched. We picked up Luke and Yoda but I couldn't find Asokha in our store, a friend said they found one in theirs so maybe i'll get lucky.

But the dolly drought isn't all bad. It gives me a chance to really consider what I DO have, focus a little more, and pour some money into finishing off some projects that I just haven't gotten around to yet. (like clothes for some of my bjds, oops?)

But I still can't resist charity shops, they're an addiction...

I'd feel bad but at least I know my few quid here and there is going to a good cause. Most of my money goes to Shooting Star who are a local charity who provide hospice care for sick kids so it's hard to feel that guilty about buying a £2 random doll or plush knowing that money is going toward a worthy cause.

It just means uh.. more clutter.

But they're closing for refurbishment for 3 weeks so i'm gonna have to go further afield to get my charity shop fix! NO!

Also ebay remains a problem for me. Ahem.
I'm trying to be good!
Really honest!

I don't usually make new year resolutions but I have a PLAN for this year and the doll situation at least.
It is thus:

- First things first, complete the bjds I have. That means full outfits and accessories, all sorted and done so they can be photographed and played with properly. Right now Silas and Sigrid still need clothes. I'm terrible at getting around to that. I HATE sewing so much.

- Get a body for the bjd head I have in a box beside my desk.

- Then and ONLY then can I start to save for my next bjd (A dream valley vine)

- Carefully curate a wishlist and STICK TO IT. No more impulse "but I have to give them a home, they're lonely!" doll purchases. Particularly not of bjds.

- ONLY buy dolls you have ideas/concepts/characters for. No "but it's pretty, I WANT IT!" dolls unless you can justify them using the other criteria

- Put aside £25 every month into the "get the souldoll heads some bodies" fund. By my maths it'll take about 18 months to have enough for both bodies this way, which i'm fine with. I'm in no real rush to finish those, Souldoll's discontinuation event just meant I HAD to get the heads when I did. I'm not sure if I might wait a bit to do that because I really am in no rush to finish these two, but i'm wary of Souldoll discontinuing bodies as well. I don't trust bjd companies right now, they all keep having massive discontinuations with very little notice and it's stressful and frustrating.

- When it gets warmer, start the Mirodoll hybrid project which will involve a lot of sanding and hacking things and eventually dying the non miro parts and cobbling it all together into a cohesive whole. Eeep.

- No more Monster High, period... just no. I'm out of space, I have ENOUGH (Unless it's gloom beach ghoulia... ahem)

- Stop browsing Ebay randomly. Same goes for the bootsale apps and facebook marketplace. No more window shopping. Cut it out. It's too tempting. (I'm not good at sticking to this one)

- Be strict on charity purchases.

- Stop buying things to resell UNLESS you know they'll sell for more than a few quid more than you paid. Nickle and diming it is painful and time consuming and ultimately not worth it so CUT IT OUT.

and finally

- Do periodic clearouts to make space, put some things on display away, do a shelf shuffle and just generally mix things up a bit.


I'd also, when it starts getting warm again, like to start taking a doll or two out and taking some photos outdoors. They always come out so much nicer I think.
And maybe look into getting a better camera but till I have space for a lightbox setup that feels a bit redundant.
We live in a teensy tiny house so there's really nowhere I can realistically set aside as "photography space". Boo.
I'd like to work up the courage to take some of my bigger bjds out, even if it's just onto the street or the little patch of land near our house for pictures. I think it could be really cool and net some really nice photos IF I can get them cooperate.

Also clear up the pile of boxes in the living room and put them somewhere ELSE.

But in the meantime of course, i'm accumulating more clutter because i'm a moron.

So let's have a look at it huh?

lol.


My Dad turned up new years day with my christmas present. He bought a 3d printer a while ago and has been having fun printing random things. The smaller dragon he printed for me on his first smaller printer, then he got a bigger one and could print at full size.
The smaller one he gave me a few months ago and it's adorable and teensy but was a pain in the arse to string because the channels are teeny and it's a bit floppy (okay a lot floppy) as a result.

The big one is printed at 100% I believe. He's a Braq Dragon which is a free to download and print model and comes in loooots of little pieces you then string together with elastic like a doll.

I picked up some round elastic from the fabric shop at last and sat down yesterday to string this damn thing finally.

It's printed in this incredible gold filliment that's SO SPARKLY OMG.


For an idea of scale, here's one of my 10 inch tall Makie dolls.

Big Braq is about 8 inches tall from foot to tip of horn. Mini one is about 4 inches tall.

These things are super cool. I'd been eying up a full sized Braq for a while via Etsy where people print and string them but they're fairly expensive. Dad said this gold guy used up about 2/3 of his spool of gold fillament and it took him weeks to print.

But damn it's cool. 3d printed toys are neat.


I was digging in a box of plushies in YMCA and pulled this uh.. thing... out.

She's about 8 inches tall and pretty damn chunky with molded on shoes. She seemed interesting so I bought her for £1 becuase eh, why not?

I think she's a Ddung or a Ddung clone or something. They're a Korean doll line, apparently quite popular, kinda chibi-like and come in two sizes, the far more common 4 inch tall ones and these big ol' chunky ones.

She has no markings on her so I have no clue if she's legit or a knockoff but she's pretty hefty and decently made.

she's wearing some weird hand made thing lol. I wonder what her original outfit looked like...


I gave her some new clothes. A Makies shirt and a Barbie skirt. Cute.

I also found the Tokidoki unicorn in YMCA and couldn't resist.


In Shooting Star I found this little guy.

Cute enough right?


He's a Feisty pet, which means he has little paddle things on the inside back of his head. When you squeeze them uh.. this happens.

it's quite clever.

I always wanted them to do a fully pink bunny one, they did a brown and pink bunny and I admit, it tempted me but not enough to buy one at retail (£14). £2 in a charity shop though? heck yeah.

my kids think it's HILARIOUS and can't stop playing with it. Middle kiddo has basically stolen it.

The mechanism is quite clever to be fair and seems to be able to withstand small children yanking at it so hmm.

This one is apparently called "Princess Pottymouth". I don't know why. That's just the official name according to the website. Weird... guess that means it's a ginger girl cat?

I'm calling her "Kitty Scary" hah.


And also after MONTHS of the doll bins being full of boring as shit identical blonde barbie dolls and some ratty naked footless bratz dolls, a Sindy turned up!
God it's been so long since I found a Sindy doll.

This is Lilli, she's one of the Sindy friends introduced in the early 2000s when New Moons was producing Sindy for Woolworths.
They did two sizes, teensy little 6 inch ones and taller more fashion doll-like ones.

This girl is 10 inches tall.

She'd have originally come in some pretty basic outfit, most of the woolworths sindy dolls came in either basic little dresses or really boring sports wear/tracksuits it seems, eugh, no wonder they didn't sell so well.
I don't know exactly which Lilli she IS though as finding information about the New Moons sindy dolls is really hard, especially the taller ones for which there appears to be very few photos online.

Anyway, they use the same bodies as the spindly repro BOAC Sindy dolls, it's scrawny as heck. Too skinny for barbie clothes, too big for Bratz, they're this bizarre size that Skipper stuff JUST ABOUT fits but yeah, it's pretty restrictive. Another likely reason they didn't do so well at retail, they're a freaking pain in the arse to find decent clothing for.

I had to dig through my stash quite a while to find a skirt that fitted her hips (I haven't a clue who's skirt it is, it's really narrow and very 80s), the boots are actually from a New Moons Sindy doll anyway and the jumper is from an MC2 doll and is a bit baggy but works thanks to the style.

She also stole some Barbie glasses.


The New Moons dolls all had pretty blank faces. I mean she's cute but she's also kinda... lacking something.

Her hair isn't great, it appears to be shit cheap nylon and it's rooted really weirdly. Her hair was in two pigtails but she has no center parting at the back so initially I thought maybe some kid had done that but the elastics looked to be original (and perished as soon as I touched them) and when I took her hair down it didn't seem to sit right either. The only way I could get her hair to look right was to return it to these two high and very far back pigtail things which hide her bald patch and make her quite thin hair look thicker and fuller.
maybe that was the trick there, make the most out of very little doll hair.
It's weird.

Her spindly little body has clicky knees and her head is a bit wobbly.


Punk Sindy looks pissed off, like she doesn't want to acknowledge this addition to her family tree.

Lilli is a cute doll, and i'm pleased to have found her. I didn't have a Lilli. I have a larger New Moons Sindy and an Emma (her white brunette friend) but Lilli and the obligatory black friend Mya are really hard to find for a price i'm willing to pay.
They don't come up for sale very often, probably because people don't know what the hell they even ARE.

Lilli is cute and ambiguously ethnic lol.
In my head, she's British Asian. There aren't nearly enough dolls out there of that ethnicity, it's weird and annoying.


I used to own this doll, years ago, but I sold her because she was "too big"

When I got into BJDs I realised that Teen Trends clothes and shoes actually fit Resinsoul dolls fairly well and kicked myself for getting rid of a lot of my Teen Trends stuff.

Typical!

Since then finding a replacement has been kinda tricky for a price I wanted to pay. Kiana here is by far the most common one to find, but she's also one of the prettiest ones IMO.

This particular girl was an Ebay impulse buy. She was cheap and I was drawn in by the extra she came with.


Inside her magnetic closing box/wardrobe there's the doll, a stand (I didn't even know these dolls HAD stands!), some bags, a hat and 4 extra pairs of shoes!

Teen trends shoes aren't usually that cheap on their own and shoes for dolls are always useful to have.

In fact, my Lorafina wears Teen Trends shoes, they were all I could find at the time that would fit her.
And my Resinsoul dolls fit them too.

Score.


Teen Trends was a failed line made by Mattel back in 2004... ish.. they were big dolls, she's around 17 inches tall and elastic strung.

What makes them unusual is that despite their size, they haven't got inset eyes and despite a rather child-like body, have quite mature faces. I think they're supposed to represent tweens but I get a slightly older vibe from Kiana here, it's the makeup. She looks young, but more like 14-16, which would seem to contradict her flatchested child-like body.
wierd.

Their clothes are really nicely made. Her jeans are made from a soft demin-like fabric with real zips on the legs and detailed little pockets. Her jacket does up with a real working zip too. Everything is made with varied fabrics that feel realistic, fleece for the jacket, denim for the jeans, stretchy cotton for the tee. I wish Mattel still put this effort into doll clothes. *sigh*


Her body is pretty odd. She has a huge head and then this strangely shaped child-like body with very small breasts sort of tacked on. She has joints at the knee and elbow, yet much like Hasbro's Lorafina, Mattel decided wrist articuation wasn't worth having. *sigh*
as a result she can't really pose very well and it feels a bit pointless.

Because she's elastic strung she's a bit floppy, the elastic is starting to perish a bit in her legs. I dunno how to replace it though, strung vinyl dolls are kinda awkward to restring.

She was a bit sticky when she arrived, I dunno why, not just her hair, her whole body. I gave her a surface wash, not wanting to get her elastics wet. That seemed to help.

But her hair had been brushed completely out of style with the part line all brushed out.
So i spend a half hour sitting and painstakingly restoring her part line.

I learned from that that her hair is not very thickly rooted, it has to be styled "just so" to avoid bald patches.

and given the booklet and accessories she comes with suggest hair play, well... slow clap for Mattel yeah?


She comes with fake dolly straighteners for instance.
they actually open, which is cute and have a working slider button.

She also came with two barettes and a clip thing with "chopsticks" in it.

Originally, according to her booklet she would have had some sort of gel crap with her as well.


And these little soft stickers. They feel slightly velvetty.


She originally would have come with only the black and pink bag but this one had two extra ones. They all open.

She also has a shiny satin hat, a box I think a bag must have gone into as it's too small for anything else and four shoeboxes which come from the "shoe closet" fashion pack I think.

there's three pairs of sandals and one pair of what look like bowling shoes lol.


The boxes are hard plastic and SO CUTE. Each has a unique look to them. "nu shuz" cracked me up.


They also all have a fake barcode on the side. I find it disappointing it's the same barcode though. They went to the trouble of making unique patterns and logos, why then lame out on the barcode?


Kiana also came with a jacket that I think belonged to another doll in the line.

Because I know teen trends clothing mostly fits Resinsoul (it's a bit short) I figured Glitter Girls stuff, which fits in a similar manner, would fit Kiana.
So she got a glitter girls shirt to wear and it looks lovely on her I think.
It breaks up the pink overload and brings out a bit of the green in her eyes.

She is a strange doll, but I do think she has a pretty face. She can't pose well at all, her head can barely move, it can't tilt and her arms won't hold a pose at all.

She and Lorafina are interesting glimpses into toy companies attempting to do something new (for them) and completely failing on the little details.

Teen trends, like Lorafina, came with a LOT of fashion packs immediately, shoe packs, hats, all sorts of little add ons to "build a closet" but they were all fairly expensive because they featured a lot of plastic pieces and her size at the time meant nothing else could really share with her.
Her lack of wrist articulation made her clunky and awkward to pose and her weak strung knees made her difficult to stand up anyway. Her hair, despite being a hair play doll, was thin and dry and not that pleasant to comb and their size made them a bit too big for a lot of toy boxes.

Too small for American Girl, too big for fashion dolls, Teen Trends sat in the middle and I don't think people really knew what the heck to make of them.

Of course, nowadays, dolls this scale aren't actually that rare. We have Wellie Wishes and Glitter Girls and several other "midi" sized dolls, often linked in some way to a larger scale 18 inch line (like American Girl or Our Generation) so these days there's options and familiarity.
in 2004 though? Not so much.

Teen Trends got 2 waves, the second of which seems to be extraordinarily rare, i'm not even sure they got a full distribution. And then they were gone, relegated to the history books. Another failed doll line that came and went and left no splash.

Now the problem with Ebay is well... I find it addictive...
I find myself spending hours just browsing through the "dolls" section out of morbid curiosity and that's how I discovered this.. uh... thing:


Her portrait just seems like a wierd Bratz-like doll right? Very uh.. early 2000s riding on the Bratz popularity wave and all that.

But no... this...


I call her "terrifying Snail girl" because that's exactly what she is.

It's like a Keyper mated with a Bratz doll and they had this monstrosity as a baby.

She's not small either, she's about 8 inches tall and a similar length lengthwise. She's in fact, roughly the same size AS a fucking Keyper.

But she isn't a Keyper... she's someone's acid trip made real.


Her face is a little tacky, probably because this soft plastic tends to degrade over time.
She has very neat crisp paintwork though, just a tiny little lip rub.

Her hair is frizzy as shit but there's so fricken much of it and it's a really beautiful shade of purple.


For some inexplicable reason, not only is she apparently wearing a snail turtleneck, she also has FEATHERS glued around the bottom of her shell. FEATHERS PEOPLE!


And her shell opens just like a Keyper, though doesn't seem to actually latch locked.

She has a LOT of space inside her big hollow snail body omg.


There's no markings at all anywhere on her. I have searched and searched but to no avail.


She also came with a friend.

This little dolly is also a key. She has 7.S written on the key around her neck but NO markings otherwise.

There's a button on her back.

The little piece that sticks out at the bottom can be pressed in and latches in place, you then press the button on her back to make it pop out again. That's quite clever, it means she can be stood up like a regular doll with that key piece tucked away.


What gets me, is that the two things just don't look like they go together at all. They're like, totally different syles to one another.

Sure they both have purple hair and eyes but aesthetically they just feel like two random unrelated toys.


but they DO go together. The little heart shaped blob under little dolly's feet fits exactly into the heart socket on snail girl's shell.


And the shell pops open when you twist the uh.. key girl...

wtf?

Just... what the fuck is this?

Terrifying Snail Girl will visit you in your nightmares.


As tonal whiplash and to atone for that abomination, I also bought this guy and his friends.

Huddy the giant uh... round rabbit is a Pikmi Pop and one of the big like 10 inch (ish) ones that were like £25 new. I wanted him when he first came out because he's a freaking ball rabbit man! (I have a fondness for messed up rabbit plushies) but wasn't willing to pay that so I waited hoping the price would drop or something but it never did and then wave 2 replaced them.
BOO.

So I spotted this guy on Facebook Marketplace and was all "YES!"

He came with friends lol. normal sized Pikmi pops.

I've never bought a brand new pikmi pop, they're cute but not something i'd usually collect and blind bags kinda piss me off anyway so I only knew a little about them. I knew they were scented but holy shit nothing could prepare me for the assault on the senses opening the parcel was.

These things are STRONG smelling.


Huddy himself is blueberry scented I THINK and has a kitty face lol.

He's adorable.


But also really messed up. He has a tail but only two feet (little nubbins at the front)


And a hole in his head that velcros shut that I assume the charms and other crap that came with the big pops were hidden in.


I was delighted that he came with a mini version. This is Folly (I think) who is also aggressively blueberry scented and bizarrely has four little nubbin legs.


But one ear massively longer than the other lol.

He's kinda sausage shaped. A bit like those stackable things Disney makes.



Cute!

Baby Folly fits inside Huddy's head, which cracks me up.

The other critters are all scented too. Some are also blueberry, one is watermelon supposedly, the giraffe is impressively caramel scented and a few I can't even figure it out.

Folly and his pink kitty friend are apparently rare. Score.

lol.


And i've been slowly, oh so slowly collecting these.

now Funko pops aren't something I collect in huge quantity but they are, depressingly, often the ONLY way to get merch of certain things.

It's been well over 20 years since we had Gargoyles toys on shelves, a good decade since the comics were published and the series officially concluded.

Gargoyles was when I was a kid my favourite show, I mean I LOVED it. It was SO DAMN GOOD (still is, if you haven't, watch it)

So of course I HAD to buy the Funko Pops, even just as a "more fucking gargoyles merch NOW disney goddamnit" comment.

At £10-12 each they're not something you really buy in bulk though. And our local comic store has been getting them in in dribs and drabs for months now.


They are of course hyper stylised as Funko Pops always are, but use unique molds for each face and body which is cool.

Pops also look very very similar which is great for customs but it does mean that out of box it can be rather difficult to tell some characters apart unless they have a really iconic hair or fashion style. White dude in a suit could be any white dude in a suit right?

Which is why I don't have many pops. But I like them as a way to make custom characters and I like that they've produced figures for a lot of more obscure things.

The likenesses are charicaturish with this set, but no worse than the action figures from the 90s in that respect.

Goliath is the correct shade of purple and suitably buff.



I always loved the Gargoyle feet hehe.

The wings mean he can't move his head much at all. Whoops?

On of the details I appreciate on these is that they bothered to do the different wing claws for them all. Goliath only has one claw, some of the other characters have a little handy kinda thing. Which is screen accurate.


Like Demona here (note the 2 fingers and thumb on her wings?)

She looks pretty DONE with everything lol.

I find it interesting that they opted to make Demona one of the main 6 available anywhere but made Hudson the special exclusive. Weird.

I'm also hoping that given they already have the body tooling, they'll make Angela at some point, as well as a few of the human characters (I desperately want a Detective Maza and Xanatos and a Puck/Owen 2 pack would be AWESOME OMG)

Please disney? please?


Demona has bloody weird hair.

It looks like leaves lol.

She's a bit topheavy thanks to her smaller body, her tail helps but yeah, she topples far easier than the boys.


I already talked about Hudson in an earlier blog when I got him. He was a store exclusive (only available to select retailers) for some reason.

I always loved Hudson, he's a crotchity old man with a heart of gold and he cracks me up.

I identify on a primal level with a dude who's all "nah, you all go have adventures, i'm gonna veg in front of the tv with the dog and chill".

Especially as he appears to be the only one trailed to use an actual WEAPON lol.


Brooklyn looks slightly uncertain, which is funny.

His 90s action figure really did a shit job of his beak and while this one isn't that "beaky", at least it looks more like his damn face shape than the old Kenner toys did. Poor guy never gets a neck though, ever lol.


There's some paint defects on his wings but that's pretty common for funkos.


Broadway has what I assume is a turkey drumstick because that is a fucking HUGE bit of meat for sure. Hell, it's big for a turkey.






Though it's in keeping with whatever the fuck this giant hunk of meat is too...


I love his goofy face, it's really endearing.


I'm not sure black is the right colour for the back of his wings but it's hard to tell. They look more dark dark aqua but eh, it's close enough I suppose.

It's the case with all of them, seems to change from scene to scene as to whether it's a dark shade of their skin tone or just black. Go figure.

I am however pretty sure Bronx wasn't quite this electric blue in the animation. (he's more of a muted blue?)

he looks like Stitch! lol.

He is a damn heavy figure though, solid and really hefty.


Now a bad likeness though.

Though a part of me also can't help but yell "There is only ZUUULL" hahaha.


The numbering of these bewilders me a bit. Why did Bronx come before Lexington?

Poor Lex. Last to the party.

He's stinking adorable though. Look at that little face! Who wouldn't wanna hug this little goober?


And they did his damn arms/wings properly, something Kenner failed at compeletely.

I wonder if the fact all three younger Gargoyles wear blue was some sort of concious decision lol. Like, when they're growing up does each generation get assigned a loin cloth colour? "oi you, you're brown. You guys are blue, you lot get green. I don't care you don't like green, we don't use names, how else we gonna tell you apart!?"

ahem


I like that they at least attempted, within the confines of the Pop style, to do the height differences. Though Bronx is waaaaay too big. Lex is smallest which i appreciate.


And Goliath is freaking HUGE.


But Bronx is nearly as big as Hudson which is a bit weird lol.


Lex should of course only come up to Broadway's waist but all Pops are approximately the same size so they couldn't really do that unless they made one really small or one really huge. But i'm happy enough that they're all slightly different heights to one another. I like variation.
and I appreciate the different bodies. There's reused assets of course (legs, loinclothes etc) but they've changed it up enough to make each unique which is nice to see.


Now of course I wait to see if people come up with some awesome customs here. There's a LOT of Gargoyles OCs out there heh, i'd love to see a few of em given the custom pop treatment too. (alas, mine are both too wierd looking ahahahah. Oops?)

And yeah, you listening Funko and Disney? MORE characters please. Owen never got an action figure even!
Give us Macbeth and Coldstone and shit! Hell, i'd love to see figures of the characters from the comics too (london clan, london clan, london clan!) lol.

On the serious note though, it's awesome to have Gargoyles merch back on shelves and I hope it'll rekindle some memories in people who'd maybe forgotten about the show and come back to it.

Disney really screwed over the release of the dvds and seem to have little to no interest in the property which is a shame as it does have a pretty rabid following online.

and that just about brings us up to date.

New Argos catalogue should launch this coming weekend I think. I'm not holding my breath.
New Hairdorables have hit but £15 a piece adds up fast for something so small.
Playline is just getting so prohibitively expensive. I miss 2011. *sigh*

As it stands, I have a pretty strict budget for the coming year so this might be my last big spluge overview for a while.

Though I do plan to start going through my collection and cataloguing it and using that as an excuse to start sorting stuff out again.
Periodic purges are good for you.
And I really do need box space.

Most of my dolls are in storage which sucks but that's life.

But I plan to start slowly going through boxes, taking things out, photographing them and then sharing that.
It might sate that "new things" need in me to rediscover things I had forgotten I owned or hadn't seen in a while, which will help my savings. And you never know, I might discover stuff I don't love or as the newest buzz term says "sparks joy" (lol) and be able to clear some more stuff out.

I  DID buy some things to sell on as well but i'm not posting those here as they're not supposed to be staying.
They're supposed to be helping me with this massive dolly fund plan.

I need to gather so much cash together for such a small amount of plans, bjds are SO expensive omg. But long run it'll probably do me good to have such a forced slowdown of aquisition.
we just don't have the space and honestly, Playline doesn't inspire me right now for the most part. I'd just be buying for the sake of buying, for the thrill of aquisition rather than the thrill of possession, and that's not a good thing for your storage space for sure.
Nor really a very sensible use of funds because if it's all about the aquisition a few days later you're back for your next fix.

And I fear i've been rather guilty of that over the years. So it'll be interesting to really go through my collection with a fine tooth comb and decide how much of it I LOVE and will miss and how much I am only hanging onto because it's "not worth the effort of selling".

4 comments:

  1. Ooh ooh ooh i've found some of these in shops too! The Korean type big doll looks just like a big/sturdy version of some 3 inch hollow/cheap dolls in poundland; can't remember what they're called but there are 4 different ones including one with pink curly pigtails and one with brown plaits, and they have scratchy veltro-fasten dresses and removable plastic shoes.
    So if that's Sindy's British Asian friend(yep many dolls lines don't even have anyone of this ethnicity, how is it 'diversity' if all they ever have is a blonde one and black one?!), i must have Mya?
    I have one just like Lilli except darker skinned and with curly-ish brown hair and painted white pants, her head was hanging off but i literally just shoved it back on and it's always nice to see a curly-haired doll.
    I found a teen trends doll years ago, she's auburn haired and pink lipped and has a pink velour tracksuit I changed her out of and silver trainers. I guess the feet are hollow 'cause one of her toes is snapped off. I never collect big dolls but the more grown up look and articulation of these is awesome! And wow your one is detailed with some great accesories, her and Lilli are great finds!
    Yeah same here with retail/playline being crap and lol to poor Entertainer being half empty, my local toy store avoids that problem by NEVER.REDUCING.ANYTHING.EVER. so the place is still filled with years-old stock. They have;
    Sylvainian Families(£7+)
    Enchantimals(the same few plus the 2-packs for a year now, £12-£25)
    Barbie Fashionistas(new ones every 8 months or so, maybe 1 deluxe one, £13-£21)
    Barbie Basic/Princess(£10)
    Hairdorables(the same few for 4 months now, £15)
    A lone reboot bratz cloe snowkissed £33(over a year and a half now!)
    A lone moxie girlz lexa hair/glitter play or something £25(two years now!)
    Harry Potter dolls/action figures £21(the whole set, 4 months now)
    Ken Fashionistas £13(one every 4 months or so)
    A lone Star Wars Forces Rey £20
    DC Superhero girls Supergirl and Batgirl £21(both vanished last Oct)
    A lone Descendants Lonnie and Audrey £20(both vanished last Aug)
    Barbie Career £14(ice skater, lifeguard, scientist, pilot, and a lone paleontologist i grabbed :), all but skater gone 2 months ago)

    I've been going there/past for over two years now and that is everything they've ever had, and there are NO other retail shops that stock toys for...um...does an in-store Argos machine 35 miles away count? Dunno if my one is better/worse stocked or cheaper/more expensive than your ones though, never been to an Entertainer sadly.
    Charity shops sound same, but mine only ever have ratty/static Barbie and Disney and Sparkle Girlz, would be delighted to find a Bratz ratty or not! I am NEVER gonna forget the time i went in my local and saw a whole CRATE of Bratz and sprinted over there and grabbed one...only to turn it over and see a faceless sticky visage blankly facing me! And then I saw another...and another... and another... 😨
    P.S. think i've seen a pic of snail girl somewhere before, 'cause I remember I was just like '...nope. *runs*, cool actually finding one! Hopefully my decorative dreamcast cherry will protect from both it and the faceless Bratz... :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh*all that and i was so busy distracted by thoughts of dolls i forgot to say thank you. Thank you for another daily roundup article, yours are the best! And yeah can't say I would pick up a Boxy Girls any more than I would a visible Hairdorables. The 10inch Piny pons aren't bad though, bit less bobble heady/plasticky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those 3D-printed dragons are pretty awesome! The Keypers-doll thing is neat not creepy to me. My youngest sister's Keyper Turtle is still stashed away somewhere in the house--those were cool toys. Funko Gargoyles are pretty sweet--Demona was always my favorite character. Mean kitty plush is awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiana! I was a huge fan of the Teen Trends line and was so disappointed that it failed. Great fun to see one pop up like this!

    ReplyDelete